Sometimes BC stands for before Christ. In this blog post, it doesn't, but it does stand for someone who is getting up there in age. I almost deleted the first statement, but then I didn't because I am going to add the next one. Even though he is getting up there in age, he is still mentally sharp and is able to get around, even on two artificial knees.
I first met BC in high school. He was the 8th and 9th grade assistant girls softball coach. He coached me and I can remember him hitting fungo to infield and outfield at every practice. He was also the junior high student guidance counselor. I never really visited with him in this capacity, but he held the position for a long time.
I really got to know him more, when he became good friends with my father-in-law. They bonded over a love of hunting and the next thing you knew, BC was present at all trips to the duck lease and the deer ranch. Oh, and did I mention that he is an ordained Brother of the Sacred Heart? For this application, it meant that even though we were out of town (lease or ranch), we were still able to celebrate mass on Sundays (or usually Saturday afternoons as so not to interfere with Sunday morning hunts), which was always an added plus. Who doesn't like to attend mass at the kitchen table converted to an alter in shorts and flip flops?
Another thing that I find interesting about BC, is that he loved being at the ranch so much, that for many successive summers, when he was off of school, he would drive out to west Texas, and spend his summer gardening, hiking, planting feed, and basically just being at one with nature. For most of the summer, he did this alone. He said that he did a lot of praying and meditating while he was there. Anyone who has ever been to west Texas will know exactly what I mean when I say that there is not much else to do except to be one with nature!
When Zachary was born and it came time for him to be baptized, BC asked Jeff and I if he could baptize Zack at the local high school mass. He wanted to give a sermon on the sacrament of baptism to the students and wanted to perform a baptism to help drive home the point. Jeff and I were both graduates of the school, and we were honored to have Zack's baptism there in the school gymnasium. (Zack, I'm not sure if you knew this, but whenever you go to a VC basketball game, it will be a great story to tell!).
Another amazing thing about BC, is that he had both of his knees replaced at the same time. I am always amazed at the patients who do this. He pulled through fine, did rehab like it was nothing (with a fellow hunter...not me, but I won't hold it against him), and was back hitting fungo in no time.
Over the years, he has been to many of our holiday dinners...at my in-laws and even at our house. Now that he is retired and living in a nearby city, we don't see him as much. My boys usually see him when they visit west Texas, and he always spends some times talking to them. They come home with BC stories, and I appreciate the time that he gives them.
I cannot imagine it is easy to dedicate your life to service of the Lord. Having to give up having a family of your own is not something to be taken lightly. Taking a vow of poverty is also a sacrifice. I know that BC did both of these things and dedicated his life both to God and to the many children that he counselled and helped. This takes a special person, and I am glad that I have had the opportunity to know him in my lifetime.
11 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment