In retrospect...I was a late social bloomer. You can look at the two ways... good and bad. As a parent, I can say that it was probably good because as a teen I was usually where I was supposed to be when I was supposed to be. As a teen, I have to honestly say, that it really didn't bother me too much...I just kinda did my own thing. There are some people I know however that the most important thing in their lives is to be with the "in" crowd whatever that means. I have never had whatever it is inside of you that makes you feel bad if you didn't follow the crowd. I guess you can say that I am comfortable in my own skin. That did not mean that I wasn't aware that kids my age were interested in things that I was not, but the pressure of always trying to fit in just wasn't on my agenda.
Case in point is post # 233. She was a high school classmate. We were classmates, but I would not have called us friends. Aquaintances...maybe. Anyway, our senior year, we both were thinking that we were going to USL for college. We went to some sort of orientation where you got to check out the campus, maybe register???, and just kinda see what was up in the college world. So anyway...I'm not really sure how, but #233 and I went together (and this is my only memory of her at all, so I'm really not sure how!) for this "college day" which included an overnight stay in the conference center. (Which I later found out was aka the athletic dorm...huh - who knew). Anyway, my nerdy self, went to all the sessions marked on my itinerary for the day including the meet and greet that night. (Go ahead...say it...nerd! I admit it :) Little did I realize... #233's agenda was not the same. Once my dad dropped us off and we got checked into our room, I did not see her until later that night. And when I say later...I mean later! Like about 11:00 pm. I was tucked in my dorm bed...glasses on...PJ's on...reading a book (or maybe all the literature from the orientation haha) which #233 burst in!
"What are you doing?!?!?!" she yelled. "Ummm, reading?" I responded. "Well come on! Get up! Let's P-A-R-T-Y!!!!!!!" she yelled, and then ran back out of the room.
I remember looking around confused...wondering if that was what I was supposed to be doing and wondering why? LOL at myself...like I said...late bloomer.
This was the time before cell phones and when my dad came to pick us up the next day, he asked how it went. I'm sure he could tell by my answer of "Fine" that there was more to the story. I waited until we dropped her off to tell my version of the events. He just laughed. He still laughs today when we remember the story of "Priscilla." Anyway, I have not seen #233 since high school. I'm not even sure if she went to USL or not and I have no idea where she is today. Just a blip on my radar of life. I think I turned out okay and I'm sure #233 did too.
So...word to my kids if you are reading. Be yourself! Don't be a follower! You are awesome the way that you are! And last but not least... Don't peak in high school!
11 years ago

1 comment:
Love this... Don't peak in high school!! Good post! So did you PARTY?
Post a Comment