Yikes! You know how some people are just scary, but you don't know it until you spend some time with them. I mean, some people are scary right off the bat and when you look at them, you know it. But others...they come off as nice and normal and then one day, BAM, they hit you with the crazy.
#225 is one of those. Let me just hit the high notes...
She was an employee of mine for about 5 years. The first 3 1/2 years, I would call her pretty normal. Divorced...did not have custody of her kids (maybe should have been a clue)...very involved in her religion which was a non-denominational group. She was very nice to the patients and pretty much did her job well. Then, I'm not sure what triggered the free-fall, but the rest of her employment is a big blur which includes all of the following:
She really, really thought the world was going to end 1/1/00. She would not talk about it much, but she basically was cashing in all her chips in December 1999 if you know what I mean. She did show up for work on 1/2/00, but didn't have too much to say.
She decided to buy a computer. I'm not really sure where she got the money, because another employee had been helping her manage her debt by consolidating her 13 maxed out credit cards into one loan payment a month. Anyway, after she bought the computer...next thing you know, she tells me she is going to make a lot of money because she is starting to work for this site where they will pay her to recruit doctors to come to our town to work. She will get a percentage of each doctor's salary for signing them up. To prepare for this new job, she went out and (with her one credit card) bought a fax machine, a printer, a desk, had a new phone line installed to give her proper access to all the doctors that would be calling, and then last but not least, a huge air conditioned shed at Lowe's to put in the backyard of her home to house her new "office." Then of course she had to have electricity run to the shed because she didn't want to just run it off of an extension cord.... Hello!!!!!! Is there anyone out there that thinks she signed up ANY DOCTORS?????? Well, you would be wrong because all she got was more in debt.
Then there was the time that she asked for a private meeting in my office. I braced myself and settled back to listen. She wanted to warm me. I had just gotten a new car with on-star services and had showed some people in the office how the satellite could unlock the doors if I locked my keys. She wanted to talk to me about the "bad guys" who were following me and how the devil could track me through my on-star. Now, I'm not one to debate the great unknown...I have my faith and I know what I believe, but On-Star? The devil? Really????
Then one day, she met a guy, and got married. After several months, she quit her job, and then we heard that she moved away. Then about a year later, she came back asking for her job back. I did not need her, but gave her a good recommendation and she went to work for a competitor. She really is a good person and had been a good worker until the crazy just got to be too much for her and took over. My competitor called to thank me after she had been working for him for about a year (NOT). She eventually quit there also, I think to follow her next husband somewhere else.
I did not hear anything from her for several years until recently I saw her name in the paper twice. (Not police beat). Once she was quoted as a person from her church who had been counselling a woman who ended up committing a crime. Counselling??? Really??? The other time, she was pictured, witnessing at Mardi Gras to the crowds.
I'll leave it at that and I will say that I wish her well. I truly enjoyed her for most of the time that she worked for me and she definitely gave the office plenty to discuss once she left. She makes my blog because she makes me realize that what you see on the surface is not always when lies beneath. And...she was the start of one of my favorite lines that I use a lot, "You can't fix crazy!"
11 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment