Do you know who he is?
My kids do because they know that I love to watch him play tennis.
This picture was taken when he won the U.S. Open in 2003.
He was 21 years old.
All you have to do is look at this picture to see the joy on his face.
Since then, some tennis fans will say his career is on a slow downward spiral because he has not won another Grand Slam tournament. But...I would disagree.
Since 2003, he has been the top ranked male tennis player in the U.S.
He has consistently finished in the top ten male players int he U.S.
He has the fastest serve on record, clocked at 155 mph. (Stop and think about that coming at you!)
I have seen him play several times live, and each time, I am not sure if I am going to like him or not.
I have seen him be a good sport and sign autograph after autograph for fans.
I have seen him be a total brat, throwing temper tantrums on the court when things don't go his way.
I have seen him waving to babies from court side change-overs, just like everyone in the stadium wasn't there.
I have seem him blast umpires for calls he disagrees with.
What I admire him for is his (pretty much all the time) poise at press conferences.
He became famous very young, but you can tell that he gets it.
He always comes off as self-depreciating and funny.
Like these:
"As good as anybody not named Roger."
-- Andy Roddick on his chances at the US Open."No, if I wore a sleeveless shirt, people would try to feed me after the match. If you got the guns, go for it. I got two breadsticks sticking out of my sleeve. I'll stick with sleeves."
-- Andy Roddick, when asked if he would be going with the sleeveless look made popular by James Blake at the Australian Open
Click here to see a few of these moments on You Tube.
He has also been quoted as saying that when he was very young, he asked advice from Andre Agassi. He asked him what he would have done differently in his career if he had a do-over. Agassi told him that he would have started his charitable foundation earlier. Roddick took this to heart and started the Andy Roddick Foundation in 2001 when he was nineteen years old. It's goal is to improve the lives of children. Click here for more information. He plays an active role in his foundation and his mother runs it for him. Pretty amazing stuff for a young athlete with more money that he knows how to spend. I have to admire him directing it instead of just blowing it.
He makes my blog, because he appears humble, even with all of his success. I have to give him kudos for all that he gives back. It makes me root for him, even when he is being a brat.
After he won the U.S. Open in 2003, he hosted Saturday Night Live. Pretty funny stuff! Click here to view.
If he ever has to quit tennis, he can always fall back on his second career. Click here or here to see what I mean.
Who doesn't like a guy who can't laugh at himself?
And finally, this really made me laugh, when Andy Roddick settled a bet with a Texas radio DJ. Click here to see what I mean. (Kinda long, but really funny!)
Thanks to #244 who has infusing the often-time slow and monotonous sport of tennis with some personality!



No comments:
Post a Comment