Wednesday, May 26, 2010

#240 - Aunt D

I can honestly say that my #240 post is about one of the nicest people that I know.  If you want to get all picky, she is technically not my aunt, but Jeff's.  This doesn't really make a difference to her or to me or to my kids or to my kids friends...she is Aunt D to all of us.

I first met Aunt D when I started dating Jeff.  She lived in the great state of Texas, but always seemed to make it here every couple of years for a visit.  I was in high school when I first met her and I was on the softball team.  Whenever I would go over to Jeff's house, she and I would grab our gloves and throw the softball in the side yard at his house.  We would play pitch and catch for awhile, and then she would throw me some grounders and some pop-ups...just for practice...just because.  Today, she helps sit with my kids when they get home from school.  It makes me smile every afternoon when I drive up in my driveway and Aunt D is in the front yard, pitching batting practice to my kids.  That's just during baseball season.  I have also driven up to find her playing H-O-R-S-E or poison by the basketball goal, or wetting a line off the back deck.  My kids love her and I want to take this blog time to let her know how much I value all the quality time that she puts in with our kids.  The best part is that she does it not out of obligation, but out of love.

Since moving back to town, she is a permanent fixture on the sidelines of whatever sport is in season.  I know my kids love having her there and always make sure that I send her a copy of all the schedules.  Going back a bit, I also remember that when Jeff and I got married, Aunt D was working for a florist in Texas.  She showed up with several ice chests full of fresh flowers.  She and a few of my mom's friends worked their magic and came up with some beautiful arrangements that made my wedding and reception even more special.  Her talents extend to the kitchen, and my family has benefited from both her delicious cooking and the help that she has given Blake in his garden and with all the recipes that he likes to try out.

I am glad that she lives here now and that my kids have gotten to know and love her just as Jeff and I do.  Jeff always use to say that Aunt D was his favorite aunt and I know why.  I feel truly blessed that I have had three loving and caring individuals to help me take care of my children.  Awhile back I bought a framed picture for another one of my kids babysitters, but if I found another one today, I could give it to Aunt D also.  It had the following quote beneath a picture of a child playing:

A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove . . . . but the world maybe different because I was important in the life of a child.


-- Kathy Davis

The child in this quote could be Jeff, could be me, or could be any of my kids...it would apply.  Thank you Aunt D for all that you do for us every day.  We love you!

No comments: