As I have mentioned in earlier posts, when I was little, I stayed with my grandmother for several years during the day because my mom taught school. #224 was my grandmother's sister. We called her Aunt Edna. Whenever I think about Aunt Edna this is what comes to mind...
Dresses - but not pretty church dresses, but more like work dresses like a brown sturdy skirt and a blouse.
Orthopedic shoes - with socks and with her dresses
Extremely hard working - I never remember her sitting and relaxing, but I do remember her cooking, cleaning, ironing, and on and on and on.
Hair that was curly and salt and pepper in color.
Speaking of Salt and Pepper...for a while, she and her husband owned a restaurant in town called Pop's Smokehouse. It was located on Main Street kinda by where that new snowball/BBQ place is...kinda by the new Council on Aging building. I remember that they had great hamburgers and I remember a few times being there and getting to re-fill the ketchup bottles after all the guests had left.
I have two boys cousins that are really, I guess, second or third cousins from Aunt Edna's side of the family. Their mom is Aunt Edna's daughter so that would make her my dad's first cousin. What are the kids of first cousins to each other???? Anyone? Second cousins? Second cousins once removed? I've always wondered since one of the them was a year ahead of me in school. We would tell people we were cousins and they would ask, "How?" I always said second cousins, but was never quite sure if I was right. Anyone have any insight on this? I would love to hear from anyone who knows...
Anyway, Aunt Edna passed away when I was in high school. I will always remember her fondly. I know that she worked very hard her entire life and had to go through lots of rough times. I know she is in a better place now as she earned her spot in heaven while here on earth. I hope she is lounging around with her feet up, her nails done, and her heart light.
11 years ago

1 comment:
Loved Aunt Edna. Sweet post!!
Post a Comment