Sunday, May 2, 2010

#216 - M

Just one initial for this post because I have no idea what his last name is.  It will also be a short post, because his path only crossed mine for a short time, but I feel his contribution had an important effect.  It is kind of a hard post to articulate but here it goes.

#216 is a guy who helped me help my son.  I am discovering that teen years and self perception have a huge impact on self esteem and self image.  I am blessed to have a wonderful teenage son who has a very healthy self esteem, but last year about this time, we started to get some previews of doubt.  Thankfully, because of the open communication that I share with my oldest, we were able to talk about the problem, and come up with some solutions.

#216 helped by being good at his job.  He is a personal trainer at a local gym.  He had a lot of experience training athletes and kids trying to improve speed, stamina, and strength to do well in their various sports.  This was not what we needed him for.  We needed positive encouragement, discipline, a structured routine, and dedication to our goals.  That is what we got from him...in spades.  He trained with B twice a week for several months.  I realize that we paid him and it was his job, but I just appreciate the time and extra effort he took to make it real and effective for B.  It helped B make positive strides towards his goal and I also feel that the entire experience helped him to feel good about himself and it helped make him comfortable in his own skin again.

I'm not sure if this post makes sense to anyone but me, but that's ok.  It's just a post about a guy who listened to our needs and delivered.  Wouldn't it be nice if everyone took their jobs so seriously.

No comments: