Tuesday, May 4, 2010

#218 - TK

This post is about a girl that I think is awesome.  She is still a girl, but slowly becoming a young adult.  She is graduating from high school this year and every time I see her name on the school announcements, I have to smile.  Come to think of it, whenever I picture her, I smile.  This is because she is always smiling.  In her life, there have been times that she has not had a lot to smile about, but somehow...someway, she has kept that smile on her face.  She has not used difficulties in her life as a crutch, but instead used them to make her stronger.  She has a wonderful support system in her mother, grandparents, and aunts and uncles, and they should all be proud of her success (and I know that they are).  She is graduating as senior class president, and is getting ready to take a once in a lifetime vacation with her grandmother to Europe.  Just rewards for such a great girl.

My funny story about #218.  You know how there are some things that you think you would never do...until a kid asks you to do it?  I did one of these things for #218.  My faithful blog readers know that I am a tennis fan.  Even though I like to stalk the players with my camera, I have never been an autograph seeker.  Not really my thing to wait in line to get an illegible scribble scratch on a book or program.  However, one time, I went to see a charity tennis match in New Orleans where Andy Roddick was playing.  I went with my mom and #218 and her grandmother.  We had great seats way down near the court.  After the match, all the really really big fans, rushed down to the court to get autographs.  I could tell #218 really, really wanted to go, but her grandmother did not really.  Truth be told, I did not want to either, but I grabbed her hand, and off we went.  We stood in line around the court for about 20 minutes and like the good sport that he is...Andy Roddick slowly made his way around the court, signing anything and everything thrust his way.  When he got to us, he not only signed her program, but he dripped sweat on her.  Ahhh!  Heaven for a pre-teen!  (Gross for me, but good thing I have boys and am use to sweat.)  Anyway, she was ecstatic and seeing her happy made me happy.

I am proud of her and I wish her luck as she ends one chapter of her life and starts on the next.  I know that she will be successful in whatever she does.

2 comments:

Hilda Kornegay said...

Monique thank you so much for writing your blog today on one of my favorite people in the whole wide world. She is an awesome young lady and has been through a lot more than any of us will ever experience. She took those experiences and used them as a positive experience instead of a negative one. I just got off the phone with her and she was so excited because she got an A for English honors class this year. Her goal was to graduate Vandy with an honors diploma and she did it. Saturday she got a letter from LSU informing her she got a scholarship for Leadership (only one given). She was more excited than getting TOPS. Thanks for getting #218 Andy's autograph, she still has it and remembers who got it for her. You don't know the part you played in her life but you did. Thanks for making me cry and being so proud once more. Love, Mimi K

Sweet Angel said...

I must say the same thing Mom said, thanks for making me cry too but it's definitely a very happy cry. Monique you are awesome and a very important part of all of our lives. Thanks so very much for this wonderful blog about someone so near and dear to all of us. She is definitely one of my favorite people in this world. We all are so very proud of her and all she's done in her life. She's actually helped us all in some way or fashion and I thank God every single day for her and that she's part of my life. Thanks again for being such a wonderful person. We love and miss you very much.
Elizabeth