Sunday, May 9, 2010

#223 - MM

You know how when you are little, minor things seem major to you.  What seems so big is really normal size and what seems to be really cool, is pretty much just normal.  Well, this all describes my #223 post.  When I was growing up, she lived across the street from me.  She was older so she got to do a lot of "cool" things. 

"Like what?" you may ask.

Well...like

Drive
Have a boyfriend
Wear make-up
Come in late (which I knew because my window faced the front of her house)
Stay up late (same reason as above)
Have cool friends who also drove and wore make-up

Anyway, I didn't always make the cut because she was a good bit older than me, but when I did, I remember thinking how awesome her life was.  Her room was upstairs (which was totally cool to me because our house was one story) and her parent's room was downstairs (remember I started this post by saying "seemed big, but was normal")  She had a "loft" in her room which was basically floor pillows.  I remember thinking how cool it was to read in such an awesome space.  The other really cool thing about her house was that her kitchen had a window with louvered doors that opened into the living room.  I have no idea why I thought this was cool, but I did, so there it is.

They moved away before I finished high school, and I have never seen her again.  I did run into her parents at a friend's wedding years later and they told me what she was up to...but I forgot.  I think my totally cool, across the street, fabulous neighbor turned out to be just an average grown-up.  I wonder if she knew how awesome she was in my mind?????

No comments: