#219 is my brother in law and a large part of the heart I mentioned in post # 213. I have a lot of energy and I am always thinking ahead, but I have to admit, he's got me beat. To say that he lives his life to the fullest is an understatement. He is not one to wait around for something to happen, but he makes it happen. Considering I have some of those same tendencies, I can appreciate this. Everything he does, he does B-I-G, from loving his wife and kids to loving the Saints. The best part is...he doesn't like to do all these fun things alone, but loves to include us too. Just this year, we have filled many weekends with awesome trips to Grand Isle, Baton Rouge, and Saints games all put together by #219. In the past, he has scored some inside passes for my boys to check out the LSU training facilities, and was the patient Uncle who taught my kids how to hydra slide. Definitely a labor of love. And I know I will never forget his dance solo (complete with a crash landing) on the limo bus bound for N.O. on New Years Eve!
His passion for life also extends to his work. Usually when you describe someone as having many jobs, you think of someone who cannot hold down a job. In #219's case, it is just the opposite. In his short life (longer than mine, but who's counting?) he has held the titles of pharmacist, dentist, MD, and finally oral maxillofacial surgeon who does everything from reconstruct faces after trauma to butterfly his nephews chins and foreheads after trauma. He would never toot his own horn, but I will say that I think there are a lot of brains behind his humble questions and his northern LA twang.
I was once listening to a conversation with #219 and various friends who all were trying to coordinate our weekend activities that included (but was not limited to) a weekend in B.R., transportation to and from the stadium, some alcohol, tailgating, some casino time, some shopping, 2 meals, a parking pass, an ice-chest before the game/but not during, and last but not least some fun. After listening to about 10 different versions of how it needed to go and in what order, I looked at #219 and questioned, "Really?" His eyes lit up as he responded, "Half the fun is the planning...don't ya think?"
And that about says it all. Thanks to #219 for showing me how fun my 40's will be. Since turning forty, he has done P90X, talked me into competing in a mini-triathlon, and still managed to watch (either on TV or in person) every LSU and Saints game. Keep inviting us along for all the good times...I hope I can keep up!
11 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment