This is a post about a girl who impressed me. Every year I get several requests to be "interviewed" by high school or college students who are interested in physical therapy as a possible career choice. Some are doing it just because it is a requirement and some are doing it because they are really interested in physical therapy as a career choice.
#227 is actually the daughter of one of my high school classmates who attends our local public high school. She came to me as a sophomore and asked if she could not only meet with me to discuss in general what it meant to be a physical therapist, but if she could observe a patient and follow them, like a "case study." She had done her research and asked for a patient who may be coming to me long term so that she could follow them in their rehab progression. This assignment was part of an honors class that she was taking. At first, I was unsure about her. I figured she may be dedicated and she may not. I asked her a few questions about herself. She is a beautiful girl, very well-spoken, and answered my questions intelligently as well as followed up with timely questions of her own. I introduced her to a young woman in her twenties who I have seen on and off for various problems that come up with her diagnosis of multiple sclerosis. #227 was very empathetic and honestly curious about the entire disease process. By our second joint meeting, she had done her homework and had very intelligent questions to ask about medications, long term treatment options, experimental treatment options, and prognosis. To say the least, I was impressed. For the next three years, #227 came to follow up with me and my patient and always was well prepared and took the assignment seriously. She was a joy to work with and talk to and she impressed me with her thirst for knowledge.
It has been awhile since I have been in school (if you don't count re-doing elementary with my boys.) It has been awhile since I have had to look things up and dig to find answers. I have been doing my job for almost 18 years, and sometimes, I will admit, it seems like I run on automatic pilot. I will admit that I learned from #227, or should I say re-learned. I remembered how important it was to take each patient as a new individual and to work to challenge them to achieve the maximum level of improvement. She reminded me how important it is to explore all of my options and always re-assess and think to find the best way to treat a patient. These are the things that I remind my boys of...don't just memorize...think...analyze...come up with a conclusion. #227 reminded me to do as I say.
#227 is a senior this year and she will be wrapping up her three year project with me. I am excited about seeing her final paper. She has asked me to review it with her after it is completed for accuracy. I am proud of her for the hard work that she had done. I called my high school friend to tell her what an exceptional child I thought that she had raised. I could tell by her tone that she was proud too. I probably will not tell #227, but I thank her for reminding me to give my all everyday to every patient that I see and every task that I tackle. I will also continue to work to instill this in my children. I hope that I am never too stubborn to learn...no matter where the information comes from.
12 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment