When Jeff and I were in elementary school, our school priest was Father Hemingway. He took over for Father Fleming in 1980 so I was 10 years old and probably in the 5th grade. When I was in school, I remember thinking he was a great priest. He was responsible for getting the new church built so we didn't have to have mass in the cafeteria each Sunday. When he built the new church, it was very modern. By modern, I mean no statues, no kneeler, and no stained glass. The church was pink and slanted from the back to the front. He said that this was so he could see everyone when he was sitting on the alter. He loved both Jeff and I and we both considered him a friend.
He married us on January 8th, 1993 and I remember him adding lots of special touches to the sermon to make it extra special.
This is a picture of Father Hemingway at Blake's christening. He had lost all of his hair and was in a wheelchair because he was dying of cancer. But...you can see by the look on his face, that he was happy for us and proud of our new baby boy. I'm not exactly sure when Father Hemingway passed away, but I'm thinking it was sometime in the year 2000. I just know that he is missed.






No comments:
Post a Comment