Tuesday, December 8, 2009

#70 - GM

Not everyone can have a good hair day everyday.  My hometown is very hot and humid most days of the year, and for someone with wavy, curly hair...that seriously handicaps me for good hair days.  Luckily, I got hooked up with #70 some time ago and he has helped the good days outnumber the bad.


When I moved to New Orleans and started PT school in 1990, I needed to find someone to cut my hair.  At the time, my hair was about shoulder length and pretty unremarkable.  Every day it was usually put in a pony tail.  When I really wanted to get crazy, I would go with a banana clip


.
that would make my hair look like this

Anyway...it was obvious that I needed some help.  One of my friends from high school was in nursing school at the time and recommended #70.  I saw him for a consultation and was sold.  He helped me go from long, to curly and long, to curly and short, to short.  I remember him telling me, "Not everyone can wear short hair.  The reason you like your hair pulled back in a ponytail everyday is because you can wear short hair."  Once he cut my hair short, there was no turning back.  I was sold.  Easy...low maitanence...fast.  Perfect for my lifestyle.  There was that one little lapse when I was pregnant for Zachary and he let me talk him into growing my hair out... but I guess he figured it was the hormones.  Other than that, he gives me great haircuts every 5-6 weeks.  That would be every 5-6 weeks since 1990.  Do the math ( I had to get a calculator)  If I am not too tired to do the math right, that means that I have spent about 190 hours in his company.  Maybe more since the gray's have arrived.  Anyway...I have seen his daughter grow up from a cute little 5 year old who never took off her red cowboy boots and like to sweep in her dad's shop become a college graduate with a fiance.  I have met his wife many times, and was recently invited to their home to help celebrate his 60th birthday.  He has given me advice on running a small business and we discuss how to keep good employees.  He travels all over the U.S. doing hair shows, and has given me some great tips for restaurants for various vacation that I take.  He has been down to Houma and now is the proud owner of a Chevrolet Tahoe. All in all, he is not only the guy who cuts my hair, but a friend.  Thanks for keeping me in style #70 (and for not letting me grow out my hair again!)