Friday, December 18, 2009

#82 - CP

I have not seen this friend in many years.  Even though she does still live in Houma, I can on one hand the number of times that I have seen her since we left elementary school.  Before that however, is a different story.  CP was a friend from Kindergarten - 7th grade.  She and I and one other girl were all good friends.  Every Friday, it was always who was going to ask whom to sleep at their house first.  I remember that we got to ride the bus home with that person.  I remember having so much fun just doing nothing.  We would sit around and talk.  We would occasionally go outside and practice our cartwheels, round-offs, and in the case of #82 (not me) backhandsprings.  She was always very good at gymnastics.  It was because of her that I got my mom to sign me up for Saturday morning gymnastics at Southdown gymnasium.  I remember the teacher looking at me shaking her head and saying, " Could you try to be a little more graceful on the beam, and less choppy with your motions."  (like I knew what that meant?!?)  I never could flip, I could not really jump, I really wasn't that graceful, and I hated the leotard.  I remember, mine was maroon.  Yuck!  #82's was navy with a white strip down the side.  The fact that she looked better than me, must have been what made the difference because she could flip (several times in a row in fact), she could jump (on the beam no less), and she could move from one uneven bar to the next, while I really just hung there for awhile and dangled my feet (but...with my toes pointed :).  Anyway, she went on to public school after elementary ended, and ended up being a cheerleader for her junior high, and then high school.  When I do see her, it's like we just talked yesterday, and we revert back to that easy conversations that we always had.  I heard recently from my mom, that her mom is very ill.  I will include her and her family in my prayers.  I will also say it one more time...there is nothing like an old friend.

No comments: