Wednesday, December 23, 2009

#87 - MMH

I have an aunt that has the same name as my mom.  Not just her first name, but her last name too.  It makes it confusing at family gatherings, but we always work it out.  This aunt is #87.  She is the mother of 3 of my boy cousins, and I know how she feels being outnumbered in her own home.  My aunt has always been very supportive of me. She is quick to say that I was the most beautiful baby that she had ever seen. She always compliments my complexion.  

When I was younger, I remember going over to her house to let her cut my hair.  She would sit me down at the table, put a plastic collar on me, and spray my hair with a water bottle.  Squirt...squirt...squirt.  I remember not liking being squirted.  I remember thinking..."Does she know that she is squirting water not only on my hair, but on my neck?  Does she realize it is dripping down my face?  Does she not care?"  Obviously one of those teenage, girl, hormone times to be indignant.  I remember one time, she was squirting and cutting, and I was frowning.  Everytime she would squirt, I would jump out of the way dramatically...but not say anything.  Very passive-aggressively.  (I'm so glad I outgrew that... ha ha)  As an adult, I realize that she was probably laughing at me when she calmly said, "Gosh, if I didn't know that you were on the swim team, I would think you were afraid of water the way you are squirming."

She is very religious and can always be counted on to offer up extra prayers when I call her for help.  I appreciate this, and I admire her dedication to her prayer life.  I could use some of her committment.  I have been working on this area of my life and I'll be the first to admit, it is not always easy to make the time to pray.  I hope one day, my neices and nephews think of me when they need extra prayers offered.

So, to help me along, I stole this prayer off of the internet, and will offer it for all of my relatives today.  Feel free to steal it too.

In Gratitude for Family and Friends 
Blessed are You, loving Father, for all Your gifts to us. Blessed are You for giving us family and friends to be with us in times of joy and sorrow, to help us in days of need, and to rejoice with us in moments of celebration... Father, we praise You for Your Son Jesus, Who knew the happiness of family and friends, and in the love of Your Holy Spirit. Blessed are You for ever and ever. Amen.

No comments: