They are...the Bryan Brothers!!!!!
I first got interested in the Bryans when I went to the Clay Court Championships in Houston, Texas. I was going to see all the big names...Agassi, Roddick, Sampras etc, but because of the way the tournment was set up, the marquee matches featured not only singles, but doubles. Whenever you watch tennis on TV, they rarely show doubles matches, but when you think about it, that's what most recreational tennis players play. At least in Houma. Only the really fast and the really young play singles, and everyone else plays doubles pretty much. Anyhow...these guys took the courts the first night and right away, we sat spellbound by how synchronized their movements were. They bounce together as they wait for a rally to start. They stop at exactly the same time. They look very much alike, but die hard fans like myself will tell you that Bob is a lefty and Mike plays right handed. Bob is bigger than Mike, and Mike has the tendency to get distracted. Bob pretty much calls the shots (even though he is 2 minutes younger than Mike) and orders Mike around on the court, but occasionally, Mike will have to jump around some and get Bob pumped up. At least this is how we saw it. By we, I mean myself, my friend Danna, Sarah Sue Sue, and my mom. We had a blast. We spent the entire week alternating between watching live tennis, shopping, and eating. What fun! (for me that is). I think the Bryan Brothers went on to win the tournament, and fans were born. I have since read a lot about them. They were coached by their dad until they turned pro.
Some interesting facts about the Bryans:
1. Their parents wouldn't let them play against each other in tournaments when they were younger. If they met up in a draw, they took turns forfeiting.
2. They have a very cool website called http://www.bobandmike.com/
3. They have a band called the Bryan Brothers band and just released a new CD. Mike plays drums and Bob plays keyboard. Click here to view their new CD. Click here to see Andy Roddick rapping Ice Ice Baby with the band. Funny stuff.
4. I read a book written by their dad, Wayne Bryan, after he came to Houma to give a tennis clinic. In the book he said that whenever Bob and Mike would fight, he would make then play tennis holding hands. I have tried this on my boys as a punishment and you would be amazed how well it works.
Anyway, I included them in my blog because they are great positive role models for kids. I have seen them play several times since that first tournament and they always take lots of time after each match to sign many autographs. I am all for positive role models. They also get a shout out for winning the year end doubles championships and finishing the year ranked as the #1 doubles team in the world. They have given the world of tennis doubles a huge boost with more TV time and more attendance at tournaments. I can't wait to see them play in Austrailia in January. (on TV, not live, shucks)
Here are some fun pics from our trip:
Here are Bob and Mike on the big screen.
Here are the stalkers, I mean #1 fans of the Bryans.
Here are Bob and Mike signing autographs. Yes, were that close.
Here they are waving to us and giving us the special signal that says, "Thanks for coming."
Even our surprise guest from Houma was able to get Bob to sign her purse! She just batted her eyes and said, "Hi, Bob!" Go Ms. Judy!!!!!






1 comment:
Bob and Mike!! Love those bros. You didn't even mention the chest bumps!
Post a Comment