Saturday, December 12, 2009

#76 - DW

For you married folks that are reading, I have a question.  When you look back at your wedding pictures, are the people who you asked to stand up for you and be your bridesmaids and groomsmen still a part of your life?  If you are very lucky, the answer is yes.  For Jeff and I, I'm not sure when it happened, but the people that we were close to then, we don't get to see very often now.  Not for any dramatic reason, but just because life moves on and people change.  We go one way and they went another.  This does not apply to all of the people in our wedding party, but it does apply to # 76.

He was one of our groomsmen and a good friend and classmate of Jeffs both in high school and then in college.  We talk to him or see him from time to time when he returns to Houma for a holiday, and I think Jeff has seen him several times on hunting trips to Texas.  He moved to Texas soon after college and became a cowboy.  He lives on a ranch, I know rides horses, and maybe even ropes cattle.  He loves it.  When you listen to him talk, you can hear it in his twang.  I'm not sure how a cajun developed a twang, but he did.  He is now married and has two (I'm pretty sure) kids.  We met his oldest several years ago and he was the spittin image of his daddy.  He was all talk about roping and ridin too.

Old friends are the best kind.  The ones you never forget.  You recognize their voices as soon as they say "Hello" on the phone, even if years have passed since you spoke to them last.  I was honored to have him as one of Jeff's five handsome groomsmen.  I am glad that he has found a life he loves, even if this means we don't get to see him too often.  Thank God for good friends.

No comments: