Sunday, January 3, 2010

#98 - DH

This postee got included because she left a permanent reminder of herself on my face.  I'm not sure how noticeable it is because it has been there so long and I have looked at it in the mirror so many times.  To the very right of my right eye, I have a small scar that doesn't hurt now, but I remember...

It was 1987-ish and I was in 11th grade (I think).  I was playing volleyball for my high school team and we were pretty competitive.  I was never the star of the team, but played pretty much every game as the setter.  Let me put it this way, I could run, dig, and set...I could not jump.  Not even a little bit.  Anyway, #98 was a few years younger than me, but she was a power jumper and a power spiker.  She was a great athlete and was not only on my volleyball team, but my softball team as well.  I have known her since I was a child because our parents were friends.  Anyway, on the day in question, we were playing in a volleyball tournament in Morgan City.  I remember that we made it all the way to the finals and then won that too!  We were the champions!!!!  Awesome, exiting stuff when you are 17!!!  Anyway, the entire team was ecstatic about winning, and the whole team was on the court jumping up and down and yelling and screaming (like only high school girls can) when suddenly #98's teeth (which were in a mouth open at full scream) came down on the side of my right eye.  Remember the part above about her being able to jump higher than me.  She jumped up, I stayed down.  She came down, where I still was, and got me.  Teeth to face.  All of a sudden, I saw red.  Blood everywhere!  Blood, that is, mixed in with sweat.  I felt it, but didn't really notice, and continued to jump around until I had pretty much gotten blood on all of my teammates.  (Obviously before the AIDS epidemic freak out)  Once someone noticed, we all stopped and started to try to figure it out.  #98 said, "I think I hit someone with my teeth!"  Anyway, long story short, it was me.  I did not need stitches, just a butterfly bandage to close it.  It really wasn't that big, but it left a permanent scar for all to see.  So anyway, that's the story.  Not really a blood and guts story, but it's all I got!  Thanks #98 for making me look so tough!  Ha!

No comments: