This post is about a therapist that I work with. I admire her because 99% of her patients are under the age of three. I like treating pediatric patients, but I will be the first to admit that it is not always easy. Handicapped children are not just patients who come in for an hour visit and then leave. When you treat kids, you have no choice but become completely immersed in their entire worlds. You usually get to know extended family (i.e. grandparents, siblings, aunts, nannys etc.). Usually the parents of these kids have a huge support staff of family members to help them out. Or the opposite is true, they do not have enough help and are not getting the care that they need. In one case, you must explain treatment plans and goals as well as the best ways to help the child to all of them...usually repeatedly. And then you have to listen to all the suggestions/advice from all the well-meaning, but often under informed... In the other case, you have to find funds where none exist to try to get these kids all of the things that they need. You have to get to know their daily routines and get immersed in how to help them go about their daily activities. By this I mean, you have to help them figure out the the best way to get in and out of the tub...the bathtub...the toilet...the bed...the car. You also need to address braces, walkers, wheelchairs, crutches, chairs, tables... Then there is the entire school setting. Often times you have to train teachers, aides...set up classrooms...make suggestions for how to help the child to learn etc. In other words...it is a lot more than treating someone who sprained their ankle. I have also found that the kids that you help become part of your family just like you become part of theirs. I have patients that are now turning 18 and 20 years old that I saw when they were 3 or 4. I have sent their siblings graduation gifts, and always remember birthdays. Treating children is rewarding, but is also mentally and physically exhausting. A lot of times you must "play" with them during therapy to trick them into doing something that is hard for them or that hurts. This is hard to do all day long. A lot of time they fight you and you must physically overpower them to keep them from hurting themselves. I've been bitten more than once and kicked a whole bunch. But...there is nothing better than getting that big smile and hug when a goal has been accomplished and the child gains any measure of independence.
I have scaled back on my pediatric clients over the years, but #112 is still going strong. She is a hard worker with a special knack for getting the most out of these kids and I hope the families that she works with realize how lucky they are that she is on their case. I know they do! I appreciate that her good name is associated with my clinic.
11 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment