Tuesday, January 19, 2010

#113 - Ms. Mim

When I was growing up, we had a neighbor named Ms. Mim.  I do not remember much about her, but I remember this.

She had very wrinkly skin. 

She liked to sit in a lawn chair every afternoon, in her driveway with her    husband, Mr. Roy.

She liked (or pretended to like) us to come over to visit.

She liked (or pretended to like) it when we rode our big wheels from our driveway to hers repeatedly.

I'm not exactly sure how old I was when she passed away, but I remember her husband living there for several years alone.  Once he too passed away, my dad and his brothers bought their home, and my paternal grandparents moved in.

Gone really is the day where neighbors sit outside every afternoon and visit.  I only know my immediate neighbors, and our lives are so busy, our relationships are not much more than a wave as we pull in and out of our driveways.  I love my life.  It is full and fulfilling, but sometimes I can't help but wish that I had time every afternoon to sit on my driveway and watch my kids ride their big wheels...with my neighbors.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mo - Leave it to Kevin and I to carry on the Lynwood Drive tradition - we do it all the time when the weather is right. Next time you are in the old hood - stop by and bring your own big wheel - I mean Plasma car. (Times have changed a little bit)