I do! And I bet #110 does too! When we were younger (me a little younger than her...ha ha), we were dedicated to Jane... Every summer we would go on a vacation to Grand Isle and we would bring along our VCR tape (or was it BetaMax?), make some room on the floor, and start lifting. I think we even had leg warmers :) Wow, how things have changed. I now have 3 kids and she has 6. We both have to squeeze in workouts in between homework, ball games, and car pools. #110 has lived in New Orleans since getting married, but did live back here for about two years recently. In a silver lining (in my eyes, and I think in hers also) after the devestation in N.O. after Hurricaine Katrina was that #110 and her family (who were in the process of a total home remodel when the hurricaine hit) had to move here. They had just sold their home uptown, put most of their belongs in pod storage, and gutted their new home. I think the remodel was supposed to last about 2 months. After the hurricaine, this turned into two years. Once they relocated here, her older children attended school with mine and got to be really good friends. She and her husband were active in our school activities and we got to spend a lot of time together. They have since moved back to the big city and we don't get to see them as often. My boys miss their new friends, and it was great to catch up with them over the holidays.
As I mentioned earlier, #110 is a few years older than me and I always looked up to her. She was always great and treated me like a little sister. Here are some of the funny things that I remember from growing up:
#110 had a really cool ring that she wore. It was made of two of her teeth. It makes me laugh today, just typing it...but at the time, I thought..."How cool is that!"
#110 was on the high school dance team. I remember her teaching me the entire halftime dance to "Beat It" by Michael Jackson. I still can bust out the moves when I hear the intro.
She hit the make-up age before me and I always remember her mother telling her to go put on some lipstick. I am not a lipstick lover, and sometimes even today when I look in the mirror and think I look pale, I can hear her mom telling her to go put some on.
On our annual vacations, #110 was always the organizer of our acting productions. We would write lines, rehearse all week, make costumes, and then put on a performance for the parents. As a parent now, I recognize the wisdom of our parents suggesting we do this. It kept us very busy, in a room, away from them for hours. I will never forget the adventures of SuperGirl and all of her sidekicks!
Good times! Good times! Once again...there is nothing like old friends!


No comments:
Post a Comment