Wednesday, January 27, 2010

#121 - Pilot

The very first time I went to Las Vegas, Jeff and I (and Mr. Skipper) went on an adventure.  We took a helicoptor ride / tour of the Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam.



  I have to say...it was A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!!!!  But also very, very scary (just for me I think).  The pilot of the helicoptor makes my blog because he was the best pilot I ever rode with, (ok, the only one...but who's counting?) and I'm sure he still has the deep puncture wounds on his arm where I was squeezing every time he headed straight for a mountain.

Living in South LA, you just don't see many mountains.  I certainly don't, and I had never seen them from that angle before.  Jeff had flown in a helicoptor many times before for work, but as I mentioned above, it was my first flight.  I remember sitting in the front seat in between Jeff and the pilot.  Headphones on...check!  Seatbelt on... check!  And we were off!  A really weird sensation, not at all like a plane.  I have never been scared to fly, but I have to admit...the helicoptor ride was a different bird altogether.  Anyway, for the entire length of the flight, I varied between awe at the beauty around me and the terror of the flight.  Really...the beauty won, but I will never forget the pilot heading straight for the side of one of the mountains of the Grand Canyon and at the very last second, pulling straight up and soaring right over the top and BAM!  What a view!  Would have been better if I hadn't peed in my pants!

We also got to see the Hoover Dam and Lake Mead (I think).  The Hoover Dam is very impressive in itself and it is a very interesting story as to how it was built.  I won't bore everyone with the details, but if you want some interesting reading, click here.  I remember that Jeff, Mr. Skipper, and I were so impressed, that we purchased the video of the flight once we landed.  It had our entire flight set to the tune of "I Believe I Can Fly" by R. Kelley.  Cheesy, but cool.   I really wish I could find it :(

Anyway...I thank the pilot for his piloting skills!  I think this was the company.  I know that when people think of travelling to Las Vegas, this may not be on their bucket list.  But...one day...if you are there...and you have donated all the money that you have to the casino!  Look up Maverick Helicoptors...they take credit cards!

Next on my list...

The Grand Canyon Skywalk...who is with me??????

1 comment:

Momma said...

I would love to! I saw the Hoover Dam on the trip to Las Vegas for Andre' and Renee's wedding but we didn't make it to the Grand Canyon.
Nanny