Saturday, January 16, 2010

#111 - TT

Whenever I graduated from PT school, I received a Bachelor of Science degree in Physical Therapy.  This was the highest degree that you could get in this field.  After graduating from an accredited PT school, you had to pass a state licensing exam, and then you were licensed to practice PT.  Each year, I am required to attend so many hours of continuing education to keep my license current.

Several years after I graduated, the requirements to become a PT in our state changed.  Before applying to PT school, you had to already have completed a four year college degree and hold a Bachelor of Science in any field.  Then, upon acceptance and completion of PT school, you graduated with a Masters degree in Physical Therapy, and still had to pass the licensing exam.  So basically, the new graduate had more education, but not really more therapy knowledge.  Same amount of PT school and same classes to learn how to be a therapist, but because you may have had a degree in English or Biology or Psychology prior to getting accepted to PT school, you graduated with a Masters instead of a Bachelors degree...

But I digress...#111 graduated in the first Master of Science class from our state, I had the chance to work with her for a time.  I do not want readers of this post to think that #111 lacked skills as a therapist, because I do not.  What sticks out in my mind about #111 is not the level of her skill, but where she was coming from in regards to her career goals.  I always think that people's goals are the same as mine and am honestly taken aback oftentimes when I find out differently.  I have to be honest ...#111 taught me some valuable lessons about different levels of employees, and that the diploma you are holding, does not make all men equal.  From #111,  I learned that people's pay scale should always be based on production and not education.  I learned about the difference between someone who is invested in a company and one who is working for a paycheck.  I learned how to incentivize based on production and not just assume that everyone puts forth their best effort every day.  I learned that you cannot deal with all employees the same way, and a lot of the time you have to draw a line in the sand between employees and employers.  I learned that people's priorities are not always the same. 

On a more personal level, she has a beautiful family who keep her very busy.  We see them at different tournaments and games and are never at a loss of things to talk about.  She has moved on to a different job with a different company and I wish her all the best. Thanks for all the talks and lessons learned.

No comments: