Monday, November 30, 2009

#62 - BD

I only knew #62 for a short time in my life.  Probably around a year or two, but I was impressed by her.  She was on my tennis team.  She was tall and thin and could run down a ball like it was nobody's business.  She played singles and doubles and was good at both.  She also drank like a fish.  I remember one year, our team went to the state tennis tournament in Shreveport and #62 was my roommate.  The whole team went to dinner and she started drinking (martini's I think).  After dinner, the whole team went to bed to prepare for our early morning match (8:00 AM), except for #62 who stayed up late to have more fun.  She stumbled to bed sometime much later, but then popped up the next morning just looking a little green around the gills.  When we got to the courts, she was sick behind the clubhouse...Our team captain benched her for the first match which really made her mad.  The second match she won in straight sets.

Several years later, she stopped playing so much tennis and started to train for triathalons with her husband.  I visited their new home where they had installed this cool indoor water treadmill so that they could swim laps in place.  Weird huh?  If you don't know what I mean, click here.  Then later, I saw her one day in Target and she told me that she had entered her name in a lottery in California.  Her name had been pulled and she was going to compete in the Escape from Alcatraz Triathalon, which is limited to 2000 participants per year. 

I have not seen her or talked to her since that day in Target, but I'm sure she continues to compete and excel.  Even though I only knew her for a short time, I think that she is a very interesting person and I am glad my path crossed with hers.

No comments: