#51 is my father in law. He looks just like my husband, or I guess I should say that my husband looks just like him. When they both have on jeans, a T-shirt and a baseball cap, it really takes a double take to tell them apart.
He does not live in Houma, but we get to see him often when he travels through on his way to and from work. My kids love him very much and call him Pop.
These are some of my favorite things that come to mind when I think of Pop...
He is very corny. (Sorry Pop) His jokes make me laugh, but are very corny. Example...He always says that he wanted to name his son after his brother (Casey, who they always called Case) but, he did not want to name him Casey, he wanted to name him Justin and use Case as a middle name...
Get it... Justin Case (Ba dum dum)
He always shows up with hot Mr. Ronnie's donuts when he comes to visit.
He can fix lots and lots of things, but does not know the correct way to put a portable chair back in the bag it came in.
And then this one time... It was when we lived in our old house. My grandfather had gotten me these old antique kitchen chairs from the school board, and had pieced them together to give me a set of 8. Anyway, I'm not sure why, but I decided that they needed to be stripped and revarnished. Pop happened to be in town for the weekend, so he volunteered to help out. This first couple of hours of work are kinda a blur, but I vividly remember the end. We could not get the old paint/varnish off so "We" decided that it would be a good idea to take the chairs to the carwash and try to use the pressure washer to finish getting it off.
Yeah...
Anyone know what happens to wet wood? Old wet wood? Old wet wood that has been glued and pieced together? Old wet wood that has been glued and pieced together and then blasted at close range with hot water?
You guessed it...it comes apart. It was a total disaster. In the end, we were able to salvage the chairs and brought them to the body shop to be spray painted like a car! (thanks Mr. George). For those of you who come over, they are still functional and are in my poolhouse.
Thanks Pop for all your help, with all the projects, for all these years. I love you!
(editor note... Pop may tell the chair story a little bit differently, but he doesn't have a blog now does he!!!)
11 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment