When I got out of school and got my first job, #48 was a contract physical therapist that was working there. He had been recruited to come to the U.S. from the Phillipines to work. At the time, there was a shortage of PT's in the area (thank you TGMC for bringing lots and lots more into the area so that they can leave the hospital after their contractual obligation is over and open private practices... but I digress) so my employer worked with a recruiter to bring #48 into the area. And, may I say, paid him a lot of money to come here.
It is a gross understatement to say that #48 was not here to make the world a better place. He was here to make HIS world better. That and the fact that he thought he was god's gift to the world in general, made him a real gem. He spent a total of about 3.5 minutes with each patient he treated (maybe). He hounded the payroll lady for advances on his check. He was constantly negotiating extra days off (usually Fridays). All in all, he was just passing time, waiting for his one year obligation to end so that he could move on free and clear.
He drove a hot rod red sports car.
Dressed kinda like this.
And smoked like a chimmney.
Totally gross and very rico suave. When he would get to work each morning, he would rev his engine a few times, get out and smoke a cigarette, and then walk in about 20 minutes late and chat up the aides. When he left, same thing in reverse. Actually, when his year was up, he moved to N.O. with one of the aides (after she left her husband), and they set up a really hip, cool (read...dump) apartment where they had fabulous (read...cheesy) parties. I think I remember him telling me that his living room was wall to wall mirrors.
Anyway...the polar opposite of me, but me being me...we got along fine. I knew he was on his way out once I arrived. When doing this blog, I tried to google his name and hoped I didn't get a hit. I didn't. I'm thinking he lost his PT license and is now back in the Phillipines. One can always hope!




No comments:
Post a Comment