I'm sure my exposure to the game at such a young age is why I love baseball (and hot dogs). I grew up watching the Atlanta Braves on TBS (I love you Dale Murphy!), I love to watch it on TV or listen to it on XM radion (Go Yankees!), and I love watching my boys play. I guess it was natural that I played softball in school, right?
Not really. I'll let you in on a little secret that I would have never admitted back then. I was scared of the ball. I was an All-District second baseman my senior year, and my team won the State Championship, and I was scared of the ball. My dad may have known, and Jeff may have known, but other than those two men in my life, the only other person that I think may have known was #61. He was my high school softball coach.
It is worth noting that this was not his primary job. His primary job was head football coach. I'm not really sure why, but with the head football job, he inherited the girls softball team. So, he coached us the way he did the football team. Work outs with weights, drill fundamentals, run, bat, field... lots of practice and lots of yelling. One story sticks out in my mind that I'll share.
One game we were playing a team and the score was pretty close. I can't remember the senario exactly, but we were in the field and the girl batting squared around to bunt. The first baseman and the pitcher charged the ball like they were supposed to, and I went to cover second...like I was not supposed to. My job for that situation was to cover first base, which I did not. The batter ended up reaching first, and then scored the winning run. To say #61 was upset was an understatement. But, I think he took one look at my face and realized, if he yelled, I would cry. (Must have also realized that he could coach us like the football team, but we were NOT the football team).
Anyway, he did not say much after the game, but the next day at practice, he set about to make sure I would always...to this day...twenty years later remember what to do when a batter squares around to bunt. I think we ran the same play for about an hour. Over.. and over...and over...and over. I got it! I still have it! I'm not sure what to do with it now, but if I ever find myself playing second and someone bunts, you bet I'll be charging first.
#61 went on to be a leader of our local government after he retired from coaching. At his victory party, he came up to talk to Jeff and I and I reminded him of this story. He just smiled...
Lessons learned from #61:
1. Never show fear.
2. Keep your head in the game.
3. Learn the fundamentals.
4. Big girls don't cry.
5. Take care of your position and don't wait for someone else to cover for you.
6. If you make a mistake, practice until you get it perfect.
Good life lessons also...don't ya think?


1 comment:
Strong work on this post! Great story!!
Post a Comment