This is kind of a random person, but she really sticks out as someone who helped me to make a very hard decision, so she made the list.
When Blake was 5 years old, I was struggling with the decision of where to send him to school. You may recall from previous posts, that up to that point, I was a one church kind of gal. Jeff and I had both attended the same elementary school, and I was leaning towards sending Blake there. Jeff had concerns about the size of the classes and the social issues of a small school, and I had concerns about the size of the classes and the social issues of a big school. Anyway, we went to Open Houses at both school we were considering and recognized good and bad points to both. For those of you who shop with me, you know that I usually am very decisive. I don't have to think about most decisions, I usually lean one way or the other and go with it. (Side note for my friend - in other words I don't have to visit it a few times before I buy it) But...when it came to this, I was conflicted. I could not make a decision. I knew that whatever school I chose, I would probably end up sending all of my kids there and I really wanted to make the right choice.
This is where #39 came in. As you probably can guess, I had gotten lots of solicited and unsolicited advice from lots of people. The topic came up again one night when I was playing tennis. On a court changeover, #39, who had raised several kids already and had already been where I was...said to me, "I just want to tell you that I remember being in your shoes. I remember going back and forth just like you for the same reasons. What you need to do is pray that God will send you where you need to go. You know in your heart where the best place is for you and your family , so don't let all the other 'noise' get in the way." and "If you don't make the right decision, you can always switch him next year."
I'm not sure why those words at that time helped, but it was as if the light bulb suddenly came on. I could always switch him next year. Go where my heart was. Don't worry about the "noise" Check, Check, Check. Decision made.
That was 9 years ago, and all 3 of my kids are still at the same school. It is not perfect. I have my moments where I wonder if I made the right choice for social and academic reasons, but I know that my boys are in a good Christian environment and are learning good values and life lessons. They are getting a good education and have made good friendships. Jeff and I have also made good friends and have enjoyed participating in their school activities.
Thank you #39 for helping me sort out the noise and helping me to realize that parenting is an on-going adjustment. Not all decisions will be right, but I can always have do-overs.
11 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment