I love #49. He has always been like a second dad to me. He is the dad of one of my closest friends from childhood, and the dad of Jeff's closest friend from childhood. In fact, you can say that he is one of the reasons that Jeff and I became boyfriend and girlfriend at such a young age. #49 was always very generous to both of us and extended many many invitations to LSU games, Saints games, Harlem globetrotters... etc, etc, etc.
He is a great cook. He use to have a cooking show on TV and use to write a cooking column in the local newspaper. When my oldest son was little (maybe 5?) he invited Blake to be a guest on his cooking show along with his granddaughter who was the same age. She was from California and showed viewers how to make healthy dishes while Blake showed viewers how to make pigs in a blanket.
When I got married, I remember him cooking for engagement parties and for my reception. When I was in high school, he let me work for him in his catering business. Looking back, I'm sure my friend and I were more of a pain than actual help, but he still paid us. (Too bad, none of the cooking skills stuck!)
As an adult, I have had the honor of treating him for numerous injuries/surgeries/worn-down body parts. I named the back wing of my office for him because I think his insurance claims paid for it.
His family was one of the original families that came on the annual G.I. trip, and I remember that he always brought the cool toys. One year, he brought a small sailboat the he let us take out on our own. One year, he brought a jet ski, when jet skis were the newest and coolest water sport. Remember, they looked like this. And, when the numbers started to multiply in Grand Isle, he towed a camper/trailer and let the girls sleep in it all alone without grown-ups.
Really cool, all the time, and I love him. He is infamous for telling jokes, so enjoy this one is his honor. Supposedly this is why he got the nickname Dugas...
(Ahem...Assume a flat accent and continue reading...)
Boudreaux and Thibodaux took Dugas fishing. After fishing for a while, they hit a hot spot and started reeling them in one after another. They were so excited and jumping around the boat and celebrating their good luck. In the middle of celebrating, Dugas had a heart attack and died.
Now Boudreaux and Thibodaux had the hard job of going back to tell Ms. Dugas that Dugas did not make it and he died. They were discussing who was going to tell her and Thibodaux said, "Boudreaux, y-y-you are going t-t-to have to t-t-tell her. Y-y-you know that w-w-when I g-g-get n-n-nervous, I st-st-stutter." Thibodaux said, "No, Boudreaux, I cannot tell Ms. Dugas. I was too close to both of them. I am going to cry and cry and I'll never be able to get it out." "I got an idea," said Thibodaux. "You know that when you sing, you never stutter. Just go to Ms. Dugas and sing the news to her."
Boudreaux was not sure, but he decided that this was for the best, and he would give it a try. He went to Ms. Dugas' house. When Ms. Dugas saw Boudreaux, she said, "Why Boudreaux, come on in. How was the fishing trip? Where is Dugas?"
Boudreaux took a deep breath and started to sing
"Three men went fishing and one a dem died...Dugas, Dugas"
(If you don't get it, sing again to the tune of Camptown Races)
11 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment