Saturday, November 14, 2009

#47 - ME

OK, a really really random person for the weekend...   This is the mom of one of my high school friends.  Now, for those of you who know my mom, you know my mom.  She is very fast.  She is always moving.  She always has a project and accomplishes a tremendous amount every second of every day.  I have learned a lot from her and when I am juggling the 6000 things I have to accomplish each day, I am glad that I learned how to multi multi-task from the best.  But... when I was in high school, I got a glimpse of the other side of the coin. 

When I would spend the night or the weekend at this friend's house, her mom was most often there.  Sometimes I wasn't sure because she did not move around so quickly.  No darting in and out of the kitchen.  No popping her head in to see what we were doing.  Usually she was relaxing. That means basically being really still.  Hmmm...what a concept...  She may be taking a nap.  She may be sitting and reading a magazine.  She may be moisturizing her face.  I remember seeing her sitting on her bed giving herself  a pedicure which included hot towels, cuticle pushing, rubbing lotion onto her feet, and then painting her nails and sitting quietly for 30 minutes to let them dry.  I remember thinking..."Hmmm...what a strange creature.  She moves so slowly.  Is she really a mom?"

Now you know that I am being really dramatic with this post, but that is how it seemed to me at the time.  Black and white...Fast and slow...Which behavior was abnormal?  As an adult, I can laugh at the whole comparison and take it for what it was.  Different people, different personalities.  None good or bad, wrong or right.  I definitely can say that I have more of my mom's energy in me than that the quiet zen of my friend's mom.  Sometimes I really, really try hard to take a long time with my personal grooming, and I still can only make it last about 15 minutes.  My friends that I travel with can attest to that.  But every now and then, usually when my boys are taken care of and my husband is not around, I find myself soaking in a tub of hot water, moisturizing my feet, and giving myself a home pedicure.  The hard part is trying to sit quietly and let them dry without rearranging my bathroom cabinets!

Today, on this beautiful Saturday...I vow to relax and do nothing! 
For at least an hour!
After I reorganize my closet!

No comments: