Friday, November 13, 2009

#46 - SB

My #46 is a patient.  I cannot give out too many specifics because of HIPPA violations, but I really just want to get the point across.  This beautiful child is adopted.  She was left at the hospital by her mother who drank alcohol during her entire pregnancy.  She is mentally and physically handicapped, and diagnosed with seizure disorder and fetal alcohol syndrome.  She does not let this stop her.

She is outgoing, friendly, talkative, boy crazy, and nosy.  Did I mention she is boy crazy?  She has trouble walking and occasionally loses her balance.  She gets up and walks again.  She gets teased occasionally by other kids (believe it or not, mostly other kids with disabilities).  They tell her horrible things, like her mother did not want her and she is fat.  She tells me that they make her really really mad, but she just keeps praying for them.  She knows all my kids names and asks about them.  She loves to make friends with other patients that go to therapy the same time as her, and can be heard all over the office laughing and teasing with them.  Did I mention she is loud?

Her mom is equally as impressive to me.  I'm sure she has her moments when she breaks down, but to her daughter and to us, she is always positive and upbeat.  She takes care of what needs taking care of.  She does not have a lot of money, but always has enough.  Recently, mom and daughter received some not so great news that her diagnosis might be progressing.  Again... strength and courage.

You never know where you will find inspiration.  Take the time to really look at those around you.  There are always people who are in worse shape than you and whose lives are much worse than yours.  I have found that in these people, you find fighers...not whiners.  You find strength...not weakness.  You find happiness...not discontent and aggrevation.  They teach me to try to live each day to the fullest, and be thankful for all that I have.

#46 inspires me to be a better Catholic and a better person.  Her mother inspires me to be a better mother.  I know that God looks out for both of them, and today I would like to ask God to send extra blessings their way.

No comments: