Sunday, February 28, 2010

#153 - RC

(Sorry all you faithful followers that this blog is so late in the day...I could not help but take advantage of this beautiful weather!!!)

Now that I am an adult with children of my own, I can more fully appreciate the sacrifices that my parents made for me.  Some were big and some were small, but they all count.  This particular blog is about the father of one of my closest friends in high school and the sacrifices that he made for us.  My friend had one brother.  It was just the two of them, and their parents were totally devoted to them and therefore their friends also.  I remember when my friend was younger, she was totally into synchronized swimming...so, her parents put in a pool.  Naturally, no problem right? 

Two funny stories about other sacrifices that her parents made that involved me too.  When my friend's brother was in high school, he played football.  Their parents liked to travel to all the out of town games to watch him play.  He, of course, rode with the team.  My friend and I often rode with her parents (because of course, my future hubby was also playing).  Not all the out of town visitors got to ride in such style.

This is not the exact van they owned, but it was close.  Close your eyes and picture the inside with me.  A TV, a sofa, a table, some low lighting...  Everyone got a mental image?  I just remember it being the best way to ride to and from a football game ever!!!

The second story involves the same van.  One summer my friend invited me to spend a week with them in Florida.  Her parents get points for allowing her to bring a friend, because I now know that extras are sometimes more trouble than it they are worth. (but not me, of course  haha)  But what her dad really, really ,really gets credit for, is letting us bring our bikes.  He even strapped them on the top of the car.


Of course this is not a real picture, but just knowing how much of a pain it is to even load up my boys bikes to bring them across town to ride, I cannot imagine hauling them three states away for a week.  He may have commented to his wife, but I can honestly say that I never heard a negative comment when:

1.  We could not go through any of the fast food drive thrus.
2.  We had to take them down and store them in the condo.
3.  We only rode them once for about 30 minutes total. (inclduing the time it took for him to put air in the tires)
4.  He loaded them back up and took them home.

I was reminded of this story last week.  We are renting a home for a week this summer and I was telling the boys that it was in a neighborhood with a bicycle path.  They immediately asked, "Can we bring our bikes?"  UMMMMM.....that would be a no.  Thanks #153 for all you did for me!

No comments: