This year marked a first for our family...a high school student. I have discovered that high school is a land where the parents are not spoon fed. The rules are posted in the handbook and it is up to you to follow them. No reminders...no meetings to reiterate the rules...just figure it out, and you better do it right!
The first thing we had to figure out was how to drop Blake off at school each morning. First we tried entering via Hollywood...ummmm, no. Not unless you like waiting in line, which I do not. So then we tried the Tunnel entrance and BINGO! Drive right in, drop off, drive right out! No problems at all. Until...one day I drive up to my normal Tunnel entrance only to find the traffic backed up about 1/2 mile. What?!?!? "Must be a wreck." I thought. As we slowly inched our way up, I kept looking to find the accident, but could not see anything amiss. When I got to the front of the turning lane, I immediately saw the problem. The school traffic guard WAS NOT THERE! No one was stopping oncoming traffic to let the school traffic in and out. It was a disaster.
Now, many of you may think that I am over reacting, but I assure you, I am not. (Maybe some of my dad's genes are running in me? Ya think?...) The lack of a crossing guard made us late for school and put our aggrevation quotient over the top for the morning commute. It also made us late for the second school drop off, which made me have to get out of my car and go to sign the younger 2 in as tardy. Totally aggrevated before 8:00 am is not a good thing.
Anyway, to make a short story longer...the next morning, I drove up to school #1 again to find the line just as long. I figured the traffic guard was not there again, but when I got to the front of the turning lane, I was surprised to find a crossing guard present, but he had not a clue how to manage the traffic. I mean, do you really think letting one car go, then letting another car go from the other direction, and then another from the other direction is going to work????? NO!!! Anyway, same thing as the morning before...late for both schools. So aggrevating!!!!
The third morning, we left early to be prepared, only to find...No line, no waiting, no hassle, no aggrevation and no tardies...all because #131 was back on the job!!!!!!!!!!! I love #131. He helps me start my day off right. He is a very large, mean looking man, with a sherrif badge and a whistle. He has a strong authoritative point and when he looks at you in your car, it feels like he is looking into your soul. We he says go...you go. When he whistles stop...it's like all the cars are kids playing red light/green light, and everyone freezes. He keeps the traffic going and everyone happy.
Ahhh, the small things :)
I have a coffee cup that says, "Life is good...enjoy the little things."
I sure do enjoy #131 being a part of our early morning commute.
11 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment