Tuesday, February 9, 2010

#134 - KS

I use to have a girl who work for me that was not very good at her job.  She was very nice.  She was very friendly.  She was talkative and made friend with the patients and staff.  She was not good at her job.  She didn't really care about her job.  Let me add that she also was a single mom and had a child who had lots of issues.  I felt sorry for her because she struggled so much with raising her child and I had three healthy kids and a husband who supported and helped me.

She drove me crazy at work.  She knew when I was totally aggrevated because she would come into my office and start to talk to me to "get my advice" on whatever issue she was having in her life that day.  I truly liked her as a person, but she was not doing the job I needed her to do.

It has been very hard for me to be a "hard-core" business person.  I know many women are successful in business, but you really have to block a lot of the emotional stuff out to do it.  Then one day, my husband gave me a great piece of advice that I have never forgotten.  It probably sounds pretty common sense to you guys reading, but it was like a lightbulb went on over my head when he said it.  He said, "Mo, if she is causing you more problems than helping, she is not doing you any good.  Once you let her go, you will probably never see her again anyway." 

I let her go not long after and have never regretted it.  He was so right. She was causing far more problems that she was solving. Once she was no longer here it was like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders. Why did I let it burden me for so long? I have no idea looking back, but live and learn right???  I actually have seen her several times since, and she happily moved on to another job that she is equally as involved in.  (Not)  It was hard for me to do, but it was the right decision for me and my company and helped me to create a line in the sand that I needed.  Thanks JT! 

No comments: