Gotta keep this one on the down low for professional reasons, but I'm sure many of you can insert various initials and make it work.
In my job I have to deal with lots of different types of people. Some are shy and some are bold. Some are easy to please and some are hard to please. Some agree with everything I say, and some will say "black" to my "white" all day. I can pretty much handle most types. Different people require different a different skill set, and I think determining how to handle people is an area I am good at. But...there is one type that I have trouble with. I don't understand and I have little patience. These are the arrogant people. The ones who think the sun rises and sets around them and if you are feeling brave enough to bother them, then you better have a good reason.
Such is #137. He is a he, I"ll give you that much. I'll also tell you he has the initials M.D. behind his name. He is the total opposite of post # that it seems almost impossible that they took the same oath. Let me stop here and just get to the story.
I am treating a patient of #137 many years ago (probably like 15). The patient is a very old, very fragile lady who needs a lot of hand holding and lots of TLC. We happen to specialize in hand holding at our office and we were well on our way to getting her better. She had undergone a procedure on her kneecap after falling and breaking it. #137 had fixed it for her and then sent her to us for rehab. After about 3 weeks of treatment, everything was going along fine until the patient started to notice a small silver pointy thing coming out of her knee. It was slightly red around the edges, but nothing major...kinda looked like a bug bite. When you passed your hand over it however, you could tell it was pointed. I was 95% sure that it was one of the repair wires that was working itself out. This happens from time to time as the bone heals and fills in, it pushes the wire up and out of the way. Not really a big deal, but remember...this was the fragile patient who needed her hand held. Even though she did believe me, she told me that she really would feel better if her doctor checked it out. I tried to assure her that it was fine, but she insisted on going to his office to let him take a look. And off they went. 60 minutes later I get an irate phone call from a screaming physician.
After I moved the phone away from my ear I could make out, "Who do you think you are, sending that lady to my office so late in the day????? Anyone can see it's just a wire!!!!!! She stayed for 45 minutes whining about it when there is nothing I can do about it except wait for it to work it's way out or take her back to surgery to remove it!!!!!" I tried to interject an explanation, but he was not listening. He continued to rant, "Don't you ever, EVER, send someone over here without calling for an appointment!" And so on and so forth.
OMG!!!! Like I mentioned earlier, I can handle most people pretty well and I was able to take a deep breath, listen, explain, and at the end of the conversation, I was able to smooth his feathers and convince him that I, in fact, had not sent the lady to his office. I knew how busy he was and how important his time was, and I told her it was a wire and that she didn't need to see him blah, blah, blah. What I didn't say was,
"ISN'T SHE YOUR PATIENT?????????"
But I wanted to.
Anyway, lesson learned by me. I never repeated the incident. I still get referrals from this doctor and he and I have never had words again. Some of his patients love him and some do not. His reputation stands for itself with no help from me. It makes me think about the statement, "It takes all types to make the world go around." How true!
11 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment