Monday, March 1, 2010

#154 - LC

Over the years, I have met a lot of fun friends by playing tennis.  One of them is #154.  I originally met her as the partner of another friend of mine as my opponents.  I just remember her drawing me out wide, wider, and widest with every serve to my forehand side.  The cards eventually fell right for me, and we have played several times together as partners.  We won some and we lost some, and I won't even start to tell you about the times we got our butts kicked!  But...we always have fun.  She works and I work.  She is busy with her kids and I am busy with my kids, but I know...one day...when we both have time to develop our partnership...we will make a great doubles team.  (Side note, one time I was playing with a local tennis group where you are matched up with a partner, kinda like a blind date.  The guy that I was playing with obviously thought he had mad skills.  He kept telling us all about how good he was back in the day.  That day, however, all we saw is that he would hit every ball as hard as he could and it was either a winner...or it made it to the parking lot of Rouses.  Anyway, about an hour into the match, he unloaded with a shot that nailed #154 right in the forehead.  It knocked her visor off and knocked her down.  Wow!  I mean really?  I thought her boyfriend (who was her partner that night, was going to lose it!  But the guy apologized and then did not get another ball in the rest of the night.  Good times!  :)

A few years ago, Jeff and I and another couple took a vacation to Miami to relax and see some professional tennis.  We met up with #154 and her boyfriend first at the New Orleans airport, and then again in Miami.  We shared a wonderful dinner with them and her two brothers who both live in Miami.  They took us to a great restaurant in South Beach, and kept us laughing all night with their stories.  One of her brothers is a doctor in Miami and the other brother works in some sort of fashion/interior design business.  They were both wonderful conversationalists and I enjoyed meeting them very much. 

For the past two months, I have not been able to make it to my weekly tennis drill with #154 and I miss everyone in the group.  Hopefully now that basketball season is over and warm weather is hopefully on the way, I will be able to get back there soon.

No comments: