Wednesday, March 3, 2010

#156 - Ms. DD

When I got married, my nanny made my wedding dress. She fitted me, re-fitted me, took it in, let it out, hemmed it etc. etc. etc. But there were two other people who were also instrumental in the production of the gown. I am talking about my grandmother and her next door neighbor and friend, Ms. DD. Their job was to hand sew the thousands of tiny beads onto the bodice of my gown. I do not know how many hours this took them, but I know it was plenty. Their eyesight had to be sharp, their hands steady, and their fine motor skills stellar. I know it was a sacrifice of love for which they accepted no payment. I offered my thanks then and I will re-thank them now from the bottom of my heart.




Ms. DD was my grandmother's next door neighbor for as long as I can remember. Her husband died at a young age and when I knew her, her children were grown and lived away. She and my grandmother spend many a long afternoon, rocking on the porch, watching the cars pass, and visiting. They went through some rocky patches as good friends sometimes do, but in the end, friends they remain. Ms. DD now lives in B.R. with her daughter since she has gotten up in age. I know my grandmother misses her company. What a treasure to have friends that grow and change with you as you grow up, get married, raise your children, send your children off, lose your husbands, and persevere. Here is a poem for all girlfriends out there.



Simple vs. Real


Anyone can stand by you when you are right, but a Friend will stand by you even when you are wrong...


A simple friend identifies himself when he calls. A real friend doesn't have to.


A simple friend opens a conversation with a full news bulletin on his life.


A real friend says, "What's new with you?"


A simple friend thinks the problems you whine about are recent.


A real friend says, "You've been whining about the same thing for 14 years. Get off your duff and do something about it."


A simple friend has never seen you cry. A real friend has shoulders soggy from your tears.


A simple friend doesn't know your parents' first names. A real friend has their phone numbers in his address book.


A simple friend hates it when you call after he has gone to bed. A real friend asks you why you took so long to call.

No comments: