When people tell you something based on their experience, but it is something that you have not experienced yet, sometimes it is hard to really understand what they are talking about. I know that is confusing, but let me explain.
When I moved back to Houma, I started to play tennis again after a long hiatus through high school, college, and PT school. I joined a local league and started to play weekly. At the time, I was married with no children yet. As the years passed, I continued to play leagues, and Jeff and I started our family. So now I had a little one. I had a lot of help since he was the first baby on both sides of the family. All it took was a simple phone call and I always had someone willing to keep him. I never had to miss a match, rearrange a court time, cancel on a doubles partner, or even worse...forget and not show up at all. Fast forward 14 years. OMG! How things have changed. Three kids and numerous activities later, my life is a constant whirlwind of practices, games, and carpools. If I ever lose the calendar on my iphone (which of course is backed up my MobileMe every 30 minutes) I will not be able to function. But let me get to the reason #163 makes my blog.
She is a gal that I have played tennis on and off with for years. When I started, her children were about the ages mine were now. I totally did not get the fact that she knew four weeks in advanced that she would be unavailable to play on a Saturday morning. I remember thinking, "Does she not have any babysitters?" Then one weekend, I rode with she and her sister to Shreveport to a state tennis tournament. I remember asking her about her busy schedule and how she managed it. She may not remember her response, but it stuck with me. She said, "This is not my time...this is their time. They will only be with me for a few more years. This is their time. I will always be able to play tennis, but I won't always be able to go watch my daughter play softball."
She was totally right! Being a good parent means totally throwing all selfishness out of the window. The funny thing is...when you are a really good parent, you don't even mind or notice. Don't get me wrong, I still think all parents need a break from their kids from time to time. A break to do something you enjoy can refresh you and make you more patient upon your return. But...right now is my kids time and I am doing exactly what I want to do, which is allow them to experience everything they possibly can. I feel this way even if this week's schedule had me coordinating soccer, baseball, tennis, play practice, guitar lessons, drum lessons, art lessons, and last but certainly not least exams! Sometimes I feel like I have to be Superwoman to accomplish all that I have to do each week, but all I have to do is look at one child rounding third and looking for me in the stands, another one grinning at me while he finally plays the entire drum rift without messing up, or the third showing off his art work and telling me he made it just for me. Priceless!
"This is their time!" LH
11 years ago

1 comment:
O-M-G! A little teary. Love this post. You are an AWESOME mom!!
Post a Comment