Saturday, March 6, 2010

#159 - AT

This particular post is kind of random, but she made a statement to me one day that has stuck in my mind and I have often repeated...so she makes the list.  It's hard to say who she is to me... the mother of a friend, the wife of one of my dad's friends, a patient...  Anyway, who she is to me is not the point.  She raised three children and was active her whole life.  Her husband always worked hard and played equally as hard.  They had a camp in Grand Isle and they loved to spend time there fishing and hanging out.  As they aged, their activities slowed down and their bodies broke down.  I treated her husband for various joint problems (I think knees or maybe hips???) and I treated her for knees, hips, and I think some spinal issues.  I treated her at my office and at her home.  A funny thing happens when you have recurrent patients.  1.  You are catching patients at a vulnerable time in their lives. 2.  You are paying attention to them 3.  You have time to listen and talk,  It was during one of our sessions at the office that she said to me,

"You know, people really should retire when they are young and can still do things.  They should work when they are older and wiser as opposed to working when they are physically capable.  My husband is now retired, we have the money to do whatever we want, but we can't do shit.  When you are young, you can do whatever you want, and you work, work, work.  You think you will always be able...but old age sneaks up on you.  Then one day you realize that you can't climb your stairs.  Don't get old honey."

I've heard many versions of this over the years, but her version stuck.  Both she and her husband have passed away now.  He suddenly and she after more of a lengthy illness.  They were both great people.  We are supposed to learn from our elders so the lesson of the day is this:

Take time for yourself while you can.  Enjoy the things you enjoy.  Run, laugh, travel, explore.  Take friends or go alone.  Spend time living life to it's fullest because we will all one day "get old" and not be able to climb those stairs. 

I am posting this as the sun is coming up on what looks to be a beautiful day...make sure you get outside and make the most of it!

No comments: