Sunday, August 29, 2010

#333 - LJW

Today's post is timely because later today (which will be yesterday when this posts) I will be attending a party to honor her and her new husband.  She is a high school friend from back in the day.  I met her in the 8th grade and we saw or talked to each other probably every day after that for the next 7 years or so.  We both played volleyball and loved to practice.  We would bump-set-spike for hours on the weekends just for funsies.  I remember one year her mom had back surgery and her parents put in a lap pool at her house.  I wonder if her parents knew that they would be competing with five to six girls "laying out" by the pool each weekend working on our tropical tans!!!!  After volleyball season ended, I went to softball and she went to track.  She was always very thin in high school and could run like the wind.  Another thing that we had in common, is we both loved to study (yep, read...nerd :)  She was by my side when we won the state volleyball title in 1988, and I stood just to her side when she made her valedictorian speech at our high school graduation.  We did a lot together because we both had steady boyfriends all through high school. I remember some fun double dates...one in particular to play putt putt golf in Lafayette. Jeff and her boyfriend at the time would come up on weekends to visit, since #333 and I also attended the same college. She majored in speech and language pathology and I majored in physical therapy.

After I left Lafayette to finish my education in PT, we slowly drifted into different lives.  I got married...she got married.  I moved back home and she stayed in Lafayette.  I really can't tell you a lot about the next fifteen years or so of her life.  Our communication was pretty limited to an annual Christmas card, and a couple of five minute conversations after mass when she was home for the weekend.  That does not mean that I did not think about her however.  I would see a funny movie and remember cracking up over similar movies in high school.  I joined a beach volleyball team in Metairie, and each time I would set the ball, it seemed like she should be there to spike it.  High school memories...great ones.  I hope my boys can enjoy their time at VC and make good friend like I did.

Anyway, she has recently gotten married and has moved back to town.  We have not been able to connect, other than a few phone calls, since she returned, but hopefully once she settles in we can plan a few lunch dates.  I ran into her and her husband along with her kids at church a few weeks ago, and I could tell by her smile that things are good.  Her son seems to be a total "boy" and is a first grader, and her daughter not only shy but curious, but is the spitting image of her mom.  I look forward to getting to know them better and am glad they will be living here now. 

But for now...here are some pics that I just couldn't resist!

Oh yeah, and we both wore glasses and contacts!  Sorry LJ!  This picture was taken at Get-A-Head Volleyball Camp.  I can't remember where it was, but we stayed overnight in a classroom????



This picture was taken in 1984 when we were both freshman, but were on the varsity volleyball team.  We both travelled with the team to the state tournament in Lafayette.


Gosh!  Some dance in 10th grade because it was one of the few pre-Jeff.  Please note the dress that my mom made for me that I L-O-V-E-D especially because of the big huge hot pink bow on the front!  Please also note LJ's pretty flowers.




Homecoming Court our senior year...how many can you name?



Prom 1988


Senior Trip to Fort Walton, Florida
Told ya she was always skinny!


Walking down the aisle at my wedding.



Thanks LJ for being such a great friend!

No comments: