It is always interesting to me when I meet and get to know people who move here from different places. I mean, I am from here and I love it, but I know that there are other places that are better to live. Better schools, better climate...just better...but not home to me.
#330 is a friend that I met last year. She and her husband moved here and enrolled their three boys at our school. Her husband is in the Coast Guard and is stationed here, but they like it a lot and may end up retiring here. She originally is from North Carolina and has told me about a childhood filled with outdoor activities including hiking, kayaking, and summer camps. While Louisiana has a lot of offer in the way of outdoor activities, it is not quite the same. Rolling hills vs. marshes. Cool rivers and streams vs. bayous and lakes. Anyway, #330 and her brood moved on into town and in the process brought a breath of fresh air to our school.
Let me explain. First of all I will say that #330 is a great mom. Dedicated to her three boys and very involved in all aspects of their lives. Her oldest is in the same grade as my middle, and he has juvenile diabetes. I know it is a struggle for them every day, but she does her best to see that he stays healthy and at the same time lives as normal a life as possible. He checks his blood sugar multiple times during the day, and calls in the numbers to his mom who calculates the amount of insulin he has to inject into himself. It really is unbelievable to see these two in action. Her youngest is in the same grade as my youngest. Those two are giving their brand spanking new teacher a run for their money this year!
#330 is also very health conscious. One of the first times I met her was last year when I participating in my very first mini-triathlon. I had struggled through the swim-bike-run and was feeling pretty worn out, and she was looking fresh as a daisy even though she had smoked my times in all categories. She has taken her love of health and fitness and injected it into our school. Here are some of the great things that she has started for our little bitty old school.
* P.E. challenge teams - students in all grades are grouped together into teams by colors. The teams can score points by doing physical challenges or by turning in food charts showing the nutritious foods that they eat during the week. She has also printed out a monthly exercise schedule that will get the kids to do things like...Monday - 25 jumping jacks, Tuesday - 25 sit-ups, Wednesday - run for 5 minutes without stopping. Very obtainable goals for all ages and they just can't wait to turn in their sheets to Ms. Becky and score points for their team.
* She organized a diabetes walk for the kids to raise money for the diabetes association last year. Our little old school raised over $7000 by walking for money. We made the donation to the American Diabetes Association and the kids felt great for donating to such a great cause.
* She re-vamped our Field day. Instead of the same old same old, the kids had to work together using team-work to master cross country skiing, the luge, ice speed skating, and ice hockey. All of these winter events were run to parallel the Winter Olympics and only Ms. Becky can pull the Winter Olympics in South LA in May!
* She started the HAF time club which stands for Health and Fitness Club at our school. The kids meet and work to provide healthy snacks and drinks on fun days at school and work to promote a healthier lifestyle.
* This year she has organized a cross country team for the kids at our school and any alumni of MICS. The kids will be practicing running twice a week after school and and will participate in monthly races. All participants will receive charms that they will collect as they go along. I did not think I would see the day that my boys would be so excited to run, but that day is here! Thanks again Ms. Becky!
To close let me just say that #330 inspires me. She picked a passion and she gives it her all. She does not let anything stop her from meeting that goal which is better health education and fitness for our kids. In today's world of fast food, video games and computers, her task is a big one...but I know that she is up for it and we are all better off for it. Keep it up #330!!!!!
If anyone would like to check out all #330 does, click here to be re-directed to her P.E. page.
11 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment