Thursday, August 5, 2010

#309 - JN

Learning about computers has definitely been a process.  I think my last two years of high school were the first years that computer lit was offered as a class.  Now, it is not even offered at all because...duh...even my seven year old has an email address now.  Back in the day, typing was more of the norm in the classroom at the end of the hall, real paper manually fed onto the roller, and lots of clicking.  When I took typing, it was before they had auto correct and you had to roll your paper up and either try to erase your error or use liquid paper (the real liquid kind, not the tape).  Then you had to wait for it to dry, then roll your paper back down and get it aligned exactly right so that when you started typing again, your letters were in the same row.  An OCD nightmare for moi who would much rather throw the whole paper away and start over than have it be uneven.  When I was seventeen my grandmother and my mom got together and gave me an electric typewriter that had the auto-correct button.  Whenever you made a mistake you just hit that button and a key would move up with correct tape on it and your error would go away.  My really cool typewriter also had a really cool scroll bar at the top.  You could type one or two sentences...proofread for spelling accuracy...then hit enter and those two lines would type out.  Wow!  It really makes me feel old to realize how far putting out a typed document has come since then.  (As I backspace, hit delete, spell-check etc.).

But...back to post #309.  He is a guy that jumped on the computer bandwagon the day that Bill Gates hitched up the horses.  He probably has forgotten more about computers that I will ever know.  I really, really, really try not to call him...but he has had to save my butt several times.  Once when I never clicked the update button for my virus software (in like two years).  Once when someone (it WAS NOT me) dropped my video camera in the sand.  And twice when my external hard drives decided to stop driving.  He is not always able to save me, but I know that when he says it is unfixable...it is unfixable.  He puts the Geek Squad to shame and he always answers my phone calls.  Thanks #309 for all your help.  I would like to think that each time I ask for help, I at least listen enough to the explanation so that I will not have to call you for the same problem twice.  I appreciate all the help.

No comments: