With the record heat that we have been having, it's easy to understand why #308 became a successful businessman. He lives in our neighboring state to the west (or left as I like to think of it), which may not be as humid, but is definitely as hot. I would venture to say also...not as much annual rainfall. When #308 graduated from college, he knew he wanted to be his own boss and he knew that he wanted to have money. He found a way to do both. He started a business in a small town near Dallas, installing sprinkler systems. Dallas weather is so hot and dry, and #308's clients soon had yards that were green and lush. Word spread...demand increased. The sprinkler system installation business turned into yard maintenance contracts in addition to sprinkler systems. He started in neighborhoods and then won the contracts for the cities. His business grew and when he needed a full time assistant, his wife quit her job at the bank and became his right hand. Also as the business grew, he did less and less manual labor, and more and more contracts and managing. The money that he made...he invested. He started with a rent house that turned into rent houses. His assistant was right there with him keeping him in order. From my vantage point, I would say that he called the shots, but she listened and made sure all the i's were dotted and the t's were crossed.
Fast forward twenty years or so... I know that they still have rental properties, but I'm not really sure about the sprinkler business. When all of that got too easy, #308 looked for another need. He found it in chicken. Not raising them...selling them. Ever heard of Chicken Express? #308 started a franchise which quickly turned into four franchises in a neighboring state. Just like he did with the sprinkler system business...he started from the bottom and learned all the ropes. When I talked to his wife earlier this summer, he was working the drive-thru at their newest location (which was doing week 1 record sales I may add). The next day he was teaching the cook how to change grease in the fryer, and the third day he was working on fixing the credit card machine and software. This is when he called for his right hand to come back to help him because he needed her to schedule him a massage and a nap.
I'm sure that I don't need to tell you that my husband and #308 get along famously. Once they get started talking business...it will be hours. They manage to sneak in a little hunting, but mostly it is all about making $$$. #308 is one of those people who are not afraid to admit when they don't know something, but you can be sure that by the next time you talk to him, he will have read up on it and be ready for the next conversation. He and I have had some good talks about health care as well as religion.
Oh, and did I mention that he is a big kid at heart. He has the best toys and plays hard. His two girls are the apple of his eyes. He has taught them how to manage their money, but has also indulged them in lots of big kid toys like a rock waterfall pool, a media room, and he let them turn his margarita machine into a slush maker. For his 40th birthday, he and his wife along with some friends took a cruise that docked in New Orleans for a day. His wife got with Jeff and they arranged for him to join the local Mardi Gras club as a surprise. They had a limo waiting for him at the dock and brought him to Houma. His costume was waiting and he got to ride in the parade on Jeff's float. He had a blast!
It was #308 driving the boat the first time that I went para sailing. After a running beach take-off, he let me float in the air for awhile enjoying the view. Once he got the thumbs up from me that I was okay, he decided that just floating was boring. He would kill the engine and let me float down to the water surface. When I could just touch my feet in, he would gun it and I would shoot straight up to the sky. Probably a little dangerous, but I have to say F-U-N!!!!!
#308 is married to one of Jeff's cousins so I guess that makes him my step cousin in law??? Doesn't really matter as Jeff and I call him a friend. We are all so busy that he and his family don't make the trip here and we don't make the trip there as often as we would like. All the time that we do spend with them however is loaded with fun and always seems to fly by. Great people...good times. Hopefully some more before too long.
11 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment