Friday, August 6, 2010

#310 - JD

This post is for a therapist (not my partner, but same initials.  Weird...just like BK that wasn't really BK.  Anyway...) who has my respect for a job that he did for years.  I first met him when I was still a high school student and he was working for BK, the therapist who gave me a summer job.  BK knew that I was interested in studying to be a PT in college, so that summer, he made sure that I got to see different aspects of the therapy world.  I got to do some home health visits, I got to work in his outpatient clinic in town, I got to make rounds at the hospital he covered in Raceland, and I got to work with #310.

What was #310's job, you may ask?  Well, let me tell you.  It is hard to even type about it without gagging a little.  He ran the inpatient and outpatient wound care clinic at what was then known as Slim Chance Hospital or SLMC.  (Please note - the rest of this post is pretty unprofessional and gross, but I will point out that I wasn't a professional at the time.  Just a high school student who wanted to do something other than lifeguard for the summer.  To continue...)

So, I met JD in the cafeteria of Slim Chance and he introduced himself.  He was (is) a self proclaimed animal lover and he immediately launched into stories about his dogs, cats, goats, pigs, birds etc. etc. etc.  He dressed kinda casual, which I thought was a little unusual because at the time, most therapists wore shirt and tie and long white lab coats. (Boy am I glad style that is out!)  Anyway, I soon found out why dress-up was not necessary.

We made our way to the third floor and I distinctly remember the stench hitting us as we exited the elevator.  I remember thinking, "What is that smell?" as we rounded the corner and there sat a line of about 10-15 people all with some sort of bandage on some part of their body.  One at a time, they would make their way into a room that was the size of my closet to have their bandages cut off, their wounds looked at, a whirlpool treatment given, and then bandaged up again.  Let me spare everyone the details by saying it was totally disgusting stuff.  These people had nasty, green, oozing, wounds and I couldn't tell which smelled worse...them or their wounds.  I had to wear a mask, partially because of the smell and partially to hide the look of disgust.  I remember one gentleman in particular.  He was receiving whirlpool and dressing changes twice a day because he wound was so infected and had so much drainage.  Then comes the weekend and he doesn't show up for his appointments.  When he arrives on Monday...HE HAD NOT CHANGED THE BANDAGE IN TWO DAYS!!!!!  Making me gag just remembering.

Anyway, a huge shout out to #310.  These wounds needed someone and I am glad that there are people who can do this.  This is not to say that I don't like wound care because actually, I really do.  We see wound patients in my office from time to time and it is very rewarding to watch these areas heal with the proper care.  That being said...I am totally out for 10-15 wound care patients a day at the charity hospital.  Let me just leave it at that.  Anyway, #310 taught me everything I wanted to know about how to make and maintain a sterile field.  He made me throw away many a roll of Kerlix gauze just because I touched it with a fingertip that was no longer sterile.  The lesson stuck, and I aced wound care in PT clinicals.

After not seeing #310 for many years, I ran into him at a continuing education course last year.  He is partially...mostly retired now and only does a little work from time to time to keep his license current.  He is still into his animals and is still a pretty casual dresser.  I asked him if he remembered when I volunteered under him as a student.  He said that I was the prettiest shade of green he had seen all summer.  He also said that he knew if a student still wanted to go into PT after spending the summer there with him...they would be good to go.  He was right!

No comments: