Tuesday, August 10, 2010

#314 - SP

Definitions of competitive on the Web:

involving competition or competitiveness; subscribing to capitalistic competition; showing a fighting disposition

#314 is definitely competitive!  When I moved back to town after college, I started to play tennis again.  Tennis was a game that I learned to play as a child.  In high school, I put my racquet up, and instead played softball and volleyball.  In college, my P.E.'s were 7:00 am aerobics (what was I thinking?????), racquetball, and a weight lifting class.  So anyway, once I got back to town, I was a little rusty, to say the least.  But...I was something that was needed.  A warm body to play singles.  I was a little younger than the rest of my teammates and although I was far from the best, I kept getting the short straw and was penciled in for the singles court.  I liked to play singles because it was good exercise and because coming to the net is not my strong suit.  Problems became evident quickly however because when you play singles...chances are that at some point, you will be forced to hit a backhand (my worst shot!)  But anyway, I was game and let myself be recruited by #314 to join the team.

At first it was fun and games.  Practices which were pretty laid back.  Local matches that were fun (as long as we won :)  But then the fun really started.  A trip to Shreveport for a state match.  The rules came out!  To bed early!  To the courts early!  Warm-up properly!  and don't forget, last but not least...WIN!!!!!!!

I'm really poking fun, because if I am being honest, #314 is a gal after my own heart.  I am very competitive myself and every time I step out on the court, I know that I will win.  Doesn't matter if I'm playing Serena Williams or my kids...I always think I can.  In all actuality, I am probably about 50/50, but until that last ball is called out...I feel like I have a shot.

Anyway, thanks to #314 for captaining our team for many years.  There was lots of bumping up and bumping down and then it seems like everyone but me moved up to the seniors league. :(  I will say however that I really enjoyed all my state trips with #314 and our original 4.0 team.  Good times!

No comments: