I often wonder about people who say that they have nothing to do. People who are bored. I just don't get it. My day is filled from the minute I open my eyes to the second I close them. I always have a list of things that I want to do, it is just a matter of prioritizing. I have lots of hobbies...some active and some inactive. #326 goes with an inactive hobby.
When I was younger, I took piano lessons from a lady who lived near us. I loved playing the piano, but didn't really like to practice. One of my friends played wonderfully...lots of classical music and I really wanted to play like she did. But...that practice thing...I didn't like it. I was also at an age that I was getting into make-up and stuff. Piano players need to have short fingernails so that they don't click and clack on the keys. I wanted long painted nails. So anyway...I learned the basics. Some scales and a few songs, and then I put it aside.
Until I met #326. She was an elderly lady who was probably in her eighties. She had fallen and fractured her elbow, and I was called to go out and see her at her home in Bayou Blue. She had been a piano teacher for 50+ years. She was totally bummed out because she was having trouble teaching with one arm in a sling. Anyway, as her therapy progressed, I told her of my long ago lessons, and she convinced me to pick it up again. Once she was better, I started to go to her house once a week for piano lessons. I remembered my scales and what not much better than I thought I would and soon I was back to playing some small songs. Then I remembered why I hung it up the first time. Practice. My mom gave me our old piano that I put in my living room. The problem was that I had two small boys at home. If I tried to practice while they were awake, they always would "help" me. If I tried to practice while they were asleep, they would wake up. Big problem...So after about a year, I had to tell #326 that I was putting my hobby on the side again.
When we moved into our new home, my old piano did not make the cut. It was replaced by a smaller and totally cooler electronic keyboard. I was just listening to my boys play Happy Birthday and When the Saints Go Marching In on it last week. That is not to say that I have given up learning to tickle the ivories. In my mind, one day, I will be able to play like Billy Joel or Elton John. I will be able to play this. When my boys are grown, I will buy a grand piano, take lessons, learn the classics, and become a pianist. Someone hold me to it.
11 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment