Friday, October 2, 2009

#4 - DOB

When I was growing up, every summer my family would go to Grand Isle for an entire week with several other families and all of their children. Depending on the year, the count was somewhere around
Adults = 10  Kids = 17.

One of the families that we went with was the Bourgs.  Dr. Otis is my eye doctor and a friend of my dad's. He always made sure the kids had a... hmmm... how can I say it?  An interesting time.  Let me explain...

Everyone had jobs to do to make the week run smoothly.  Some cooked, some did laundry, and some cleaned.  One year, Dr. Otis was on cleaning detail.  Just to make us all laugh, he got a partner in crime to get a video camera and staged a scene where he was cleaning up the bathroom.  In the middle of cleaning, he reached into the toilet, pulled out a snickers bar, and proceeded to eat it on camera.  Cue the sound effects...  He was Ashton Kutcher and "Punk'd" before his time.

Another year, Dr. Otis decided that he was going to get all of the kids together...At night...In the bay.  The plan was to all hold hands and make a giant chain.  Our only instructions were...Don't let go!  So Dr. Otis and I think one other adult (Mom and Dad - WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?!?) and about 15 kids took off...In the dark...At night...With no lights...It was only us, I'm sure some drunk boaters, and I'm sure lots of sharks. In retrospect, we probably didn't really get very far, but it felt like we walked for at least 2 hours of so.  Oh, and did I mention that he told spooky ghost stories while we trudged through the dark, dirty water?

I'm pretty sure that Dr. Otis is also the reason that I HATE, HATE, HATE, horror movies.  I have nightmares about the movie that he let us watch at his daughter JoEllen's 8 year old slumber party, The Legacy.  All I remember is a girl drowning when she dives down in a pool and the top of the pool turns to glass and she is trapped beneath the water.  Enough said.

On the upside, everytime I go to see him for an eye exam, I get a free pair of Prada or Gucci sunglasses.  And he is responsible for talking me into wearing these gems!



He assured me that they made me look smart! 
Thanks Dr. O

key words: eyes, horror-movie, funny, one of my favorite people

1 comment:

Sarah C. said...

I am not sure what makes you look smarter... the glasses or the blush!