I have been very lucky in my practice to work with three extremely thorough and caring speech therapists. #30 is the third one. She is great with patients and really makes me laugh. I could go on and on about all of her therapy skills, but what stands out the most when I think about her is a conversation I had with her while manning a booth at a health fair.
In my experience, most health fairs are very boring. Lots of standing around, smiling, and introducing yourself. People are really just there looking for the free stuff. Anyway, #30 and I got to talking about life in general. I started to gently ask her a little about herself as she is around my age, but I had never heard her mention a husband, boyfriend, or kids. It was like opening a can of worms. She immediately told me (and I quote): "Monique, let me put it to you like this. I got a lot to offer. I am a strong, capable woman and I ain't settling. If and when I get married, I need a man who is going to build me up and bring something to my life. I don't need someone who is going to drag me down and make my life harder. I have a lot to offer and I'm not looking for someone who needs me to take care of them. I need a partner. I need an equal. If a man wants to be with me, he needs to be bringing something to the table." Period.
I knew from that point on, we would get along fine. No whining. No complaining. Take care of yourself and make yourself happy. I like her. She now has a boyfriend and I have to admit, I am very curious. I will try really hard when I meet him not to ask what it is he is bringing to the table. You go #30!
11 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment