Monday, October 12, 2009

#14 - Dr. SM

This is a professional post.  Many of you may not know this, but Physical Therapists treat TMJ dysfunction.  The tempromandibular joint (TMJ) is a joint just like any other joint in the body and it can flare-up and become aggrevated just like a knee or a shoulder.  The tricky part is that no one can really stop using this joint.  If a shoulder is aggrevated, you may wear a sling... If your ankle is sprained, you may walk with crutches...  But if your TMJ is aggrevated...stop talking???  stop eating???  stop yawning???  Impossible!

My #14 is a doctor at the dental school in New Orleans.  I have never met him.  I have never spoken to him.  I have no idea how he got my name, but he refers patients to me all of the time and tells them that I am THE TMJ specialist in the tri-parish area.  What a compliment!  He started referring patients to me my second or third year of practicing and I guess I got some good results, because he sends patients far and wide to my office for treatment to this joint.  Last week I had a man from Chackbay.  Last month from Thibodaux... and so on.  I even get calls from time to time from his residents asking about my protocols for  treatment.  What an honor!

If I am being honest, I will admit that I don't get all of them symptom-free.  It is a tricky and challenging joint to rehab...but, I appreciate his confidence in me and I will always try my best to get these patients some relief.   Thanks to #14 for trusting me with his patients!

If anyone is interested in finding out more about TMJ dysfunction, click here.

key words:  dentist, referrals, tmj, pain-relief

No comments: