Friday, October 16, 2009

#18 - CW

Top 5 Reasons to be a Jack of All Trades:
1.  A Jack of all Trades recognizes the 20% / 80% rule.  (i.e. You only need to know 20% of a language to understand 80% of it.  You only need to know 20%of the tango to be able to be a novice as compared to 80% to be a pro.  In sports, you only need to know 20% of the moves to play the game, but need to master 80% to be a professional.)
2.  A Jack of Trades is also known as a Generalist and if you look around you, it is the Generalists who wind up running the show.
3.  Boredom is failure.
4.  Diversity of intellectual playgrounds breeds confidence instead of fear of the unknown.
5.  It’s more fun, in the most serious existential sense.

Da Vinci was a jack of all trades.  So was Ben Franklin.  So is my #18.  He is a high school friend.  He graduated the same year as I did.  He was on the Student Council and in the Honor Society.  He did not play sports, but he did join Renaissance one year to get strong.  He has a great family and spends a lot of quality time with them.  He has a sister with special needs that he has always helped take care of.  After high school, he actually became better friends with my husband.  They love to talk hunting, business, and
money.  We use to travel together.  I remember a 24 hour drive to Colorado to go snow skiing (and sleeping in the car on the railroad tracks).  I remember the long trip to California to stand in another friend's wedding followed by bouncing around between San Francisco and Lake Tahoe for a week trying to avoid the worst storm in CA history.  I remember trips to Last Island.  I remember helping him lay down tile in his first house...and then in his second house.  I lost count of how many houses/camps he built or re-built  at about 20.  I remember he and Jeff in the attic of our first house, wiring for an alarm system to save us some money (so what that it really didn't call the police when it was set off.)  He helped us get started planning our retirement.  He helped us get started in banking, once we actually started making money.  He now has a beautiful family of his own.  I love his wife, especially when she pulls him out of his comfort zone (like at our 20 year class reunion).  He has two boys who are spitting images of him. (except I usually see them on the ball field?!?)  He serves on the Church finance committee.  He loves to fish.  He love to go camping.  He is a friend who I do not talk to often enough, but at any time of the day or night, I could call for anything (unless blood was involved) and he would be there.  Truly a friend of all trades!

key words:  hunting, fishing, camping, building, lists, medical

No comments: